A lot can happen in a week. Seven days might not seem like much, but it can be an eternity in the tech news cycle.
Between Windows news, hardware and software developments and Microsoft's fast-paced movements throughout the technology landscape, it's never easy to keep your hand on the pulse of technology. Not to mention everything that's going on right here at Windows Central!
Every week we're going to compile the biggest stories into one post, so you never fall behind – In Case You Missed It (ICYMI).
Windows 10 for PC received a cumulative update this week, unlocking frame rates for PC games, adding support for AMD's Freesync and NVIDIA's G-SYNC, and bringing a bunch of fixes to the operating system.
Meanwhile, Fast Ring Insiders were able to download Build 14342. The most notable new feature in 14342 is downloadable Microsoft Edge extensions, including AdBlock, ADBlock Plus, Pin It Button, Mouse Gestures, Reddit Enhancement Suite, Microsoft Translator, and OneNote Web Clipper.
The new build also brings swipe navigation back to Edge, adds real-time web notifications, and improves Bash on Ubuntu.
Other notable items:
- The best Windows 10 laptops
- How to change a Windows 10 user account type and why
- How to install non-compatible printer drivers on Windows 10
- Save to Pocket is now available as an official extension for Microsoft Edge
- Microsoft launches GigJam preview for Windows to help share documents
- How to connect a Surface Book to an external display
- Microsoft teams with SITA to build Windows 10 app for airport staff
- Ghostery will bring its tracker-busting extension to Microsoft Edge
- Best AirPlay alternatives for Windows
- Desktop App Converter updated with new functionality
- The U.S. Marines are having problems updating their old PCs to Windows 10
The next wave of HoloLens developer kits has begun to ship. Those who signed up, and dished out $3000, will receive a HoloLens headset, a clicker for interactions, microUSB 2.0 cable, charger, and a carrying case. They will also be able to develop games and apps for the augmented reality platform.
Microsoft is toying with the idea of including Twitter posts in Bing results. The company has experimented with different Bing tweaks countless times, but not every idea has made it into the search engine, so we'll see what happens.
A video surfaced showing what looks to be upcoming hiking support on the Microsoft Band 2. The report says that the hiking features include GPS and altimeter routing, food and water reminders, and points of interest. There is also mention of the previously-rumored Microsoft Health app for PCs and tablets in the video.
Microsoft's 20th annual CEO Summit took place this week in Redmond, Washington. Details on the conference are scarce, but attendees included over 130 technology and business leaders, including Warren Buffett and Netflix's Reed Hastings.
And Microsoft reached a landmark moment in their history, having hit the $1 trillion mark in total cumulative revenues and clearing $265.2 billion in lifetime profits.
Other notable items:
- Best microSD expansion cards for Surface Book
- Developer registration for Microsoft's international Build Tour now open
- Second wave of HoloLens developer kits now shipping
- Microsoft unlocks frame rates for Windows Store games, adds Freesync and G-SYNC support
- Microsoft will shut down its MSN China site on June 7
- Best Accessories for Microsoft's Surface Book
- Microsoft opens its Office 365 datacenters in Canada
- Microsoft launches second build of Visual Studio '15' preview
- Skype teams up with Sify to make it easier for Indian customers to add funds
- Microsoft reportedly turned down several offers to buy Lionhead and Fable IP
- Here's how Microsoft HoloLens could be used by the military on the battlefield
- Buy a Surface Book or Surface Pro 4 and get a free dock, pen tip kit
- Skype for Windows 10 UWP Preview to get dark theme in update today
- Microsoft: April 2016 was its best month ever 'for global engagement on Xbox One'
- Microsoft working to change the way you store and experience 'digital memories'
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and Federal Trade Commission (FTC) have kicked off a joint inquiry into how mobile device manufacturers and cellular carriers handle security. Companies like Microsoft, Apple, Google, and Samsung have all received a questionnaire on the topic and have 45 days to respond.
Spotify is taking their video streaming offerings to a new level with originally-produced content:
"Spotify will unveil plans for its first slate of original shows Monday, a year after adding clips from the BBC and Comedy Central. Episodes of every program, which range from a few minutes to 15 minutes, will be available to free and paid Spotify users in the U.S., U.K., Germany, and Sweden."
WhatsApp has been busy on almost every front. The messaging giant just launched a desktop client for Windows and made some tweaks to the UI on their Windows smartphone app. They also added a new feature to their web client that allows users to share documents.
Opera continued to improve their browser of the same name, adding a new power saving mode to help laptop and tablet users extend their battery life.
And Western Digital put the finishing touches on their deal to acquire SanDisk for $16 billion.
Other notable items:
- Amazon UK will deliver copies of Doom to Prime members throughout the launch night
- T-Mobile customers will be able to use their phones in Cuba this summer
- Razer BlackWidow X Chroma review: A 'topless' mechanical keyboard
- Turtle Beach just unveiled the Elite Pro Tournament headset, designed for eSports and long sessions
- T-Mobile will offer families four lines with 6GB of data for $30 a month per line
- AppStretch allows developers to use crowd funding to add features to apps
- Samsung's 256GB EVO Plus microSD hits the market in June for $250 with blazing speeds
- MSI's VR-ready gaming notebooks are certified by HTC and Intel
- Adobe Acrobat and Acrobat Reader desktop users can now add Box and OneDrive accounts
- EU blocks Three's £10 billion takeover bid for Telefonica's O2
- Samsung's Galaxy TabPro S with Windows 10 Pro announced ahead of Canada launch
- ZOTAC to launch its own tiny Windows 10 PC Stick
Share your thoughts on this past week of news! And we'll be back again next week to do it all over again.