One of the most controversial game franchises of all time, Carmageddon, is heading to the Xbox One and PlayStation 4. Developer Stainless Games will release Carmageddon: Max Damage, a new take on the violent arcade racing series, for both consoles sometime in mid-2016.
The original Carmageddon was first released for the PC in 1997 by Stainless Games and publisher Interplay. It's mix of racing combined with elements like power-ups and running over pedestrians to gain points, caused the game to be censored or outright banned in several countries. A sequel, Carmageddon II: Carpocalypse Now, was released in 1998 and a third game, Carmageddon: Total Destruction Racing 2000, was released in 2000. In 2011, Stainless Games acquired the full rights to the series and later raised money via Kickstarter to help fund Carmageddon: Reincarnation, which was released for the PC in 2015.
Here's what Xbox One and PlayStation 4 players can look forward to from Carmageddon: Max Carnage:
- Over 30 cool custom killing machines, each with their own highly distinctive character
- 10 large open environments to explore
- A host of moving targets to hunt down for points, including pedestrians in wheelchairs & mobility scooters, cyclists, bears and aliens
- Career mode with 6 different event types
- Multiplayer with 4 online event types
- Fully featured action replay mode; to relive all the action again from any perspective.
- Over 90 crazy PowerUps, complex car damage and repair system, blood, laughs and much, much more.
Source: Carmageddon: Max Damage