Nokia appears to have revealed the highlights of the coming Windows Phone 7.8 update scheduled for the previous version of the operating system.
It is well known that the home screen will be updated to allow the three new tile sizes and remove the familiar side gutter but looks like much more is coming.
The list of updates shown includes:
- New homescreen experience with more room for your Live Tiles. Now resizable.
- Set the Bing image of the day as the Lock Screen wallpaper.
- Pocket and child Lock screen Security
- 20 new accent theme colours
- Bluetooth Share (for DRM free media files)
- Cinemagraph add-on to create blend and photo and movie-like animation, creating photos that are alive
- New camera lenses to remove unwanted objects in your photos such as passers-by or people on the edge of the shot the spoil the photo.
- Updated Contacts Transfer application
- Updates Contact Share application
- Ringtone Maker application
Nokia are of course committed to providing continued support for their customers by way of excellent apps to enhance the user experience. They are bringing their Ringtone maker, Cinemagraph and other updates along for the ride. Confirmed also is the ability to transfer non DRM media by way of Bluetooth
The core OS updates from Microsoft include the ability to set Bing as the lock screen wallpaper and also the addition of Pocket and Child proof lock screen. Could this be a Windows Phone 7 version of the parent friendly ‘Kids Corner’ functionality? If so that will be a really good new addition to the older platform which will be still in active service for some time to come.
What we can’t see is the examples of these features that follow the survey, shame that was left out. Nokia are keen to keep their users happy but perhaps they need to be more diligent with these leaks, anyone would think they wanted to let the cat out of the bag early.
Let us know what you think of this feature set, will this be enough to keep existing users happy and bring along a few more? Comments below are open now.