When is the last time a new Xbox game came out for Windows Phone 7? It must have been Rabbids Go Phone in May. That’s a fun little game for kids and Achievement hunters, but you can also beat it in a couple of hours. Non-Nokia Windows Phone 7 users also gained access to Jet Set Go in June when its Nokia exclusivity ended. Obviously, new Xbox releases for Windows Phone 7 are winding down now that Windows Phone 8 has seeded the market.
Still, general Windows Phone 7 users have plenty of Nokia exclusives whose exclusivity will eventually end to look forward to. In fact, one of those games just became available to all users today: Picnic Wars from Chillingo and Swiss developer Crown Adam. It kind of leapfrogged iBomber Defense as far as general availability goes, but iBomber and the other two Nokia games that launched alongside Picnic Wars can’t be far behind.
Read on for Picnic Wars details and an updated list of current and former Nokia Collection exclusives!
Food versus food
I'm going to have to side with strawberry on this one.
Picnic Wars is quite a unique little game. It centers around the conflict between fruits and vegetables – a tale very much like Romeo and Juliet, only without all the kissing and poisoning. It’s a silly setup told with cartoon panels between certain levels. Players take control of one side in the campaign’s first 32 levels, and then switch to the other in the remaining 32 levels (which are harder remixes of the previous campaign).
The actual gameplay revolves around tossing food at forts in order to eliminate the enemies within and cause as much structural damage as possible. But instead of being all physics-y like Angry Birds and its ilk, aiming the catapults here is mostly a matter of dragging catapults back and forth and choosing the right kind of ammo for the target. If you enjoy games about breaking things, you’ll probably have fun with it.
Picnic Wars – Windows Phone 7 or 8 – 66 MB - $2.99 – Store Link
Nokia exclusives update: Current exclusives
Flight Control Rocket
The next three games we can expect to become available to all Windows Phone brands are:
- iBomber Defense (released in December 2012)
- Blobster (released in January alongside Picnic Wars)
- Flight Control Rocket (released in January alongside Picnic Wars)
And here’s the full list of Nokia exclusives:
- Bejeweled Live + - Released: February 18, 2012
- Blobster - Released: January 16, 2013
- DaVinci Pinball - Released: April 23, 2013
- Dream Track Nation - Released: March 22, 2013
- FIFA 13 - Released: July 8, 2013
- Flight Control Rocket - Released: January 16, 2013
- iBomber Defense - Released: December 22, 2012
- Mass Effect: Infiltrator - Released: May 22, 2013
- Monopoly Millionaire - Released: April 23, 2013
- NBA Jam - Released: May 22, 2013
- Real Racing 2 - Released: May 22, 2013
- Storm in a Teacup - Released: April 3, 2013
- The Sims: Medieval - Released: March 26, 2013
- Tiger Woods 12 - Released: May 22, 2013
- Tiny Plane - Released: March 22, 2013
- Vampire Rush - Released: April 3, 2013
- Yahtzee - Released: February 19, 2013
- Zuma's Revenge! - Released: February 19, 2013