The official Spotify app, which was unveiled yesterday at the New York City Windows Phone event along with four new handsets, is now available for download from the Marketplace. The music streaming service, which launched in the U.S. earlier this year, is subscription based but opens up a huge catalogue of tracks for members to listen to.
Some feature highlights:
- Search, browse & play millions of tracks.
- Explore & play your friends' playlists, top artists and tracks.
- Stream over WiFi or 2.5/3G - all your existing playlists are available.
- Offline playlists - play your music without an internet connection.
- On-the-fly sync - every track you add to a playlist appears on mobile and computer.
- What's New view.
- Receive music from friends via the inbox.
- Starred tracks - tag all your favourites into a special list.
The app will allow downloading of playlists and music for offline playback in case you don't have an active internet connection, or require to save some data should you be tied to a tight plan. Also, playlists can be pinned to the home screen for easy access, something which can't be offered on other platforms.
You can download Spotify from the Marketplace for free, but as mentioned above, the service requires a subscription.
Thanks Greg and everyone else for the tip!