Last night, Microsoft inadvertently leaked Windows 8.1 Update 1 on its own Windows Update servers. They’ve since pulled the links, but you can find the update mirrored on various file sharing websites. A lot of you were fast and were able to update a few of your Windows 8.1 machines to Update 1. Now we’re curious what you think about the new changes.
Update 1 on Windows 8.1 isn’t a huge upgrade. Instead you’ll find small refinements throughout the OS. Most of the changes will be apparent to folks using machines without a touchscreen where the mouse and keyboard are the primary modes of input.
Here are just some of the changes you’ll find in Windows 8.1 Update 1:
- Boot to desktop is now aimed at being the default for machines without a touchscreen. Though you can change that.
- SkyDrive has been rebranded as OneDrive throughout the operating system.
- Modern apps have the Taskbar. Mouse down to the bottom of your screen and you’ll see the desktop taskbar pop up. Very odd.
- There’s black title bar in Modern apps if you’re using a mouse.
- Pin Modern apps to the taskbar.
- Search and Power options button prominently displayed on the Start screen
Not a bad update. It’s an update that hopefully make Windows 8.1 more palatable for desktop users. Two questions for you guys and gals. Did you get the update last already? What do you think of it? Answer in the polls below and head to the comments to expand on your thoughts!
Reading this in our Windows Phone app? Head to IE to see the poll and take part. Go here http://www.m.wpcentral.com/did-you-install-windows-81-update-1