Windows Phone users of the popular cloud-based storage service Dropbox can download an update, bringing it to version 2.2. This new update is a pretty solid one with a few nice new features and improvements, including a way to stream stored videos and a new "Recents" file tab.
Here's a breakdown of what's new in the Dropbox app:
- Recents tab: Goodbye, static file list. The new home view is a list of all the files you've used recently — anything you've viewed, uploaded, renamed, or edited, on that device or on dropbox.com. The files you're most likely to need on the go will always be front and center.
- Invitations: You can get extra space by inviting your friends to try out Dropbox. If a friend uses your invitation to sign up for an account, installs the Dropbox desktop app on a computer, and signs in to the app, both of you will receive bonus space.
- Video streaming: no need to download your video files to watch it, save time and bandwidth
- Save web links to your Dropbox
- Open internet shortcuts
- Add a text viewer
- New option for favorites: view in parent folder
- Bug fixes and performance improvements
Dropbox is a universal app for Windows 8.1 as well, but as of this writing, today's Windows Phone update has not appeared on the Windows 8.1 version.