Edmodo is a popular online resource for teachers and students to connect and collaborate. The service didn't have official offerings on Windows or Windows Phone, leaving those with Microsoft-based hardware in the dark, but now the company has released an app for tablets and PCs. It's worth noting before we begin that this is a Windows 8 release (no Windows Phone just yet) and is a wrapped web experience matched with Windows 8.1 features - also known as hybrid apps.
Speaking about Windows 8.1 functionality, the developers have managed to include split screen support (snapping away), as well as integration with charms. While it may appear as a website on a screen, wrapped inside a Windows 8 app, it's a pretty neat experience unhindered by design choices. Check out some features listed on the store, if you're unfamiliar with Edmodo:
- Create secure groups that take learning beyond the classroom
- Connect and collaborate with students and fellow teachers
- Foster and continue discussions outside of school hours
- Post and turn in assignments, quizzes, polls, and more
- Gauge student progress on grades 3-12 Math and ELA Common Core with Snapshot, a micro-assessment tool
- Track progress and performance with a built-in gradebook
- Upload and share files, photos, and videos
- Create, award, and earn badges
- Discover new resources
As noted above, it's a wrapper but it's an official brand. We're halfway there with solutions like these, folks.
Thanks, Jason, for the heads up!