If you have yourself a Surface RT or Surface Pro you’re going to be getting some updates today. The second Tuesday of each month is when Microsoft releases security patches on what is known as Patch Tuesday. Today is that day and with those security patches you’ll also be getting some firmware updates for your Surface RT and Pro. Let’s check it out.
The update for both Surface RT and Pro are for ones running Windows 8 and not the 8.1 Preview. So what’s in store for folks on Windows 8?
Surface RT / Windows 8
- A Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) firmware update that optimizes the audio experience at low volumes and removes a perceived pulsing in audio volume for some content
- An update to system drivers that enhance stability and reliability
Surface Pro / Windows 8
- A UEFI and System Aggregator (SAM) firmware update that enhances system stability, reliability, reduces power consumption, and improves touch latency with the touchpad on the Surface Type Cover and Surface Touch Cover
But don’t worry, if you’re running the Windows 8.1 Preview there are some updates ready for you as well. Checking out our Surface Pro with the Windows 8.1 Preview we noticed some updates waiting as well. Here’s what you get.
Surface Pro / Windows 8.1 Preview
- Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 8.1 Preview (KB2862772)
- Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 8.1 Preview (KB2871676) – This update resolves Flash video quickly lightens and darkens during playback. This causes a flickering effect.
- Update for Windows 8.1 Preview (KB2875111) – This update fixes for adaptive streaming and Digital Rights Management (DRM) playback features for Internet Explorer 11 Preview in the OS.
- Update for Windows 8.1 Preview (KB2875636) – Fixes for adaptive streaming and DRM playback features in the operating system.
Before this update anytime we’d try and play videos through YouTube in Internet Explorer we would have a flickering effect on our Surface Pro. Now that issue has been resolved in the latest update.