gMaps Pro for Windows Phone was recently re-introduced to the Marketplace. Due to gMaps Pro being re-introduced to the Marketplace, previous versions aren't eligible for future updates. To help those who will need to re-purchase gMaps Pro, the developer offered it as a free app this past Friday. I managed to miss that day but as the app looked so good I parted with my money and made the purchase.
As I have been so impressed I thought the app was worthy of a video demonstration or walk through to give everyone a feel for the app. As you can see there are some great features built into the application and it looks good too. Features include:
- Discover places or use local search
- See your friends and share location with Google Latitude
- Navigation with direction and rerouting
- Multilingual. Supports more than 40 Google languages. Fully localized for 8 languages
- Layers Weather, Bikes and all other maps
- Share map by email/message
The latest update, version 1.23, includes 'street view' which seems to work pretty well.
Although Bing search on Windows Phone does a similar job I much prefer gMaps Pro. There is a free version of gMaps available but it is ad supported, which may not appeal to everyone. The gMaps Pro version is currently running $1.99 and a worthy purchase if you ask us.
You can find the free, ad-supported version of gMaps here and the ad-free version of gMaps Pro here (has a trial version) at the Windows Phone Marketplace.