Microsoft is finally taking pre-orders for the upcoming Lap Dock accessory that's part of the newly released HP Elite x3 Windows 10 Mobile product family. The Lap Dock is a laptop-like accessory that's powered entirely by the Elite x3 and Continuum, a first of its kind from HP.
The Lapdock is up for pre-order at $599 a pop (via MSPU), which is pretty expensive considering the Lap Dock isn't exactly a full laptop. For it to work, you must have a Continuum-enabled smartphone with you, otherwise the Lap Dock is simply just a screen and keyboard.
Expected ship date is November 14.
Lap Dock Specs
- Nearly borderless 12.5-inch diagonal LED-backlit Full HD (1920 x 1080)
- Integrated Bang & Olufsen stereo speakers; Integrated noise cancelling microphones4; Stereo headphone jack
- 1 USB Type-C (data; HP Elite x3 docking/charging)
- 2 USB Type-C (data; power in/out)
- Micro HDMI
- Stereo headphone jack
- Backlit, spill-resistant keyboard with drain; Touchpad
- Battery: 4-cell (46.5 WHr); 45W USB Type-C power adapter
- 11.37 x 7.91 x 0.54 in (289 x 201 x 13.8 mm)(W x D x H)
- 2.30lbs (1.00kg)
The Lap Dock is an interesting device, and one we'll definitely be reviewing alongside the HP Elite x3 and other accessories. With the upcoming improvements to Continuum, having a Lap Dock as an accessory makes sense, as the experience will mimic that of a real laptop far better with Redstone 2.