Nokia has confirmed the upcoming arrival of the Lumia 800 to Australia in a press statement today. Not only that, but the manufacturer stated that the handset will be available in cyan, magenta, black and the rumoured white. Australian carriers (Optus, Telstra and Vodafone) have shown interest in Nokia's Windows Phone (possibly due to the launches that have been hosted across the world), which is good news for those who are looking for better platform support and more generation two handsets.
We've continuously seen reports of frustration from consumers in Australia due to the lack of support from not only the carriers, but Microsoft itself. With Nokia tackling world domination, looks like this commonwealth nation will be seeing some love. If you're interested as to when Telstra will be sporting the device, be sure to register your interest.
Check out the press release after the break.
Sydney, Australia – 30th January 2012. The first Nokia with Windows Phone – the Nokia Lumia 800 – will be sold in Australia through Optus, Telstra, Vodafone and all major retailers from March.
Available in black, blue (Cyan), pink (Magenta) and white, the Nokia Lumia 800 delivers a great all-round smartphone experience combining Nokia’s strength in design, navigation and camera quality with the latest Windows Phone experiences which include out-of-the-box integrated social networking, access to Marketplace apps and Xbox gaming.
Nokia Australia’s managing director, Chris Carr, said, “Nokia Lumia will change the way people think about Nokia. It signifies a new beginning for the company, bringing together the very best of Nokia’s handset design and services with the latest Windows Phone software.
"Interest locally for Nokia Lumia, our first range of Nokia with Windows Phone devices, has been extremely positive, with a significant appetite from operators and retailers looking to offer consumers a real smartphone alternative. With uptake from all Australian operators and major retailers, the launch of the Nokia Lumia 800 signals our intent to regain leadership in smartphone design and usability," Carr said.
The Nokia Lumia 800 is an elegant, intuitive and easy-to-use phone giving people access to signature Nokia experiences such as Nokia Drive – a fully-fledged personal navigation device (PND) with free, turn-by-turn navigation – and new Nokia Music services such as Mix Radio, a free music streaming service and Gigfinder that helps you find the best music entertainment near you.
Intuitive user interface
- The Nokia Lumia 800 home screen is a grid of live, animated tiles that provide up-to-the-minute updates such as social networks status updates, news and weather feeds, email notifications and calendar alerts.
- Each tile can be tailored to deliver easy access to the applications most often used, for example: a music playlist, a gaming app, a Web page, or an e-mail folder.
- People Hub combines all your contacts and feeds from Facebook, Linked-in and Twitter into one thread and can be pinned to the homescreen.
- The Nokia Lumia 800 is an elegant piece of design engineering. Its sleek, curved casing, together with the 3.7” ClearBlack AMOLED display and precision finishing, heighten the Windows Phone experience.
- The Nokia Lumia 800 has an 8 MP camera with 28mm Carl Zeiss wide-angle lens and HD video. As well as instant photo share capabilities, the phone features touch-to-focus – a function that is unique to Nokia.
Best in class business experience
- The Nokia Lumia 800 puts a 30+ year Windows software heritage– plus apps such asOutlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint and OneNote – in the palm of your hand.
- The phone gives you access to Bing, Internet Explorer 9, HTML5 and Wi-Fi.
Additional smart features
- Nokia Music brings new music services and features such as:Mix Radio, which stream hours of music for free, dividing playlists by genre or generating them based on taste, and; Gigfinder, which lets you search for live local music events, share your discoveries and buy concert tickets online.
- Exclusive to Nokia, Nokia Drive – available in more than 100 countries – turns your handset into a fully-featured sat nav with voice guided turn-by-turn navigation, info on traffic, speed limits and cameras.
- 16GB of internal user memory plus 5GB of additional free SkyDrive storage – ideal for storing all your images and music.
Please visit www.nokia.com/press for press materials, including photos and product information.
via: Techin5, thanks jubbing for the tip!