As you may have heard, today marks the 15th anniversary of the launch of the original Xbox. In celebration, Microsoft has taken to a blog post to talk about the occasion and reveal some impressive numbers behind Xbox Live, achievements earned and much more.
Rather than wax poetic about what the Xbox brand has turned into since the November 15 2001 launch of the original console, Microsoft served up the following data to show just how much the brand has grown in the last 15 years:
- Number of players: 222,468,423
- Number of total gaming hours: 100,539,390,670
- Number of total multiplayer hours: 29,000,304,183
- Number of Achievements unlocked: 32,667,582,157
- Gamerscore racked up: 572,605,554,587
- Highest Gamerscore: 1,416,465
- Number of Xbox Live friendships made: 4,233,891,482
If you want to join in on the celebration of 15 years of Xbox, Microsoft is encouraging people to use the #15YearsOfXbox hashtag on social media to share their favorite gaming memories. There are also giveaways planned for special items in Forza Horizon 3 and Halo 5, all of which you can learn more about in Xbox Wire's full blog post.
Lastly, Xbox's Aaron Greenberg took to Twitter or the occasion to show off the original, monstrous Xbox prototype hardware, which you can see below.
Do you have any favorite Xbox memories from the past 15 years? Do be sure to shout out in the comments and let us know!