It’s the second Tuesday of the month, which means it’s Patch Tuesday for all of us in the Windows ecosystem. Head to the settings on your PC and you’ll see things like security updates for Internet Explorer and firmware updates for your Surface devices. Let’s check out what’s new for your Surface today.
Surface RT – Update notes
The update for the Surface is only for Windows 8, not 8.1 and is to allow the use of the Japanese Touch and Type Cover 2 accessories.
Surface 2 – Update notes
The updates rolling out for the Surface 2 have a variety of improvements across the device and its accessories. We’re excited to see improvements in with the wireless display technology for example. Here’s the full update notes:
- Performance improvements for all Type Cover and Touch Cover versions.
- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth driver updates to improve wireless display performance.
- Camera improvements.
- Audio improvements including switching to speaker playback after disconnecting a headset.
- System performance and stability improvements.
- Battery life improvements.
Surface Pro – Update notes
You’ll see a few updates for your Surface Pro depending on whether you’re running Windows 8 or 8.1 Those of you still on Windows 8 (seriously, update to 8.1 now) will just be getting an update that allows you to use the Japanese Touch and Type Cover 2 accessories. While those of you on Windows 8.1 will be getting:
- Update to the LifeCam driver to increase TrueColor fidelity.
- Update to the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth drivers to enable improved wireless display performance and to further enhance Wi-Fi network performance and stability.
There are also general updates that are part of Microsoft’s regular Patch Tuesday. For example, MS13-088 is an update that resolves ten privately reported vulnerabilities in Internet Explorer. Read the full info on the security bulletin to see what’s in Patch Tuesday.
Your PC will automagically update itself, but you can get these updates right now by heading to your PC settings -> Update and recovery -> Windows update -> Check for update.