LAS VEGAS -- Immersive apps and gaming is a main focus for Microsoft with Windows Phone 7 Series. Today at MIX10, Microsoft announced details of the services developers have at their disposal:
- Accelerometer, an intuitive control that responds to motion
- A Microsoft Location Service to provide developers with a single point of reference to acquire location information
- Microsoft Notification Service for pushing information to the phone, regardless of whether or not an application is running
- Hardware-accelerated video with digital rights management (DRM)
- Internet Information Services Smooth Streaming for the industry’s highest quality content viewing experience
- Camera and microphone support
Two things that stand out there: Multitouch -- obviously a hot topic these days -- and push notifications, which will work regardless of whether the application is running.