Nokia joined Microsoft today at the Windows Phone 8 Summit to announce a handful of new apps and a few updates to existing apps. The new apps and updates are scheduled to hit the Lumia line of Windows Phones next week.
- PlayTo is a DLNA app that will let you share music, videos, and photos wirelessly with other DLNA compatible devices.
- Nokia Counter is an app that will let you monitor data and voice usage.
Updates will also be pushed through to Nokia Maps, Drive, Transport and the camera app. Here's what we know about the updates.
- Nokia Transport will have the capability to pin a location to your Start Screen for quick reference and when tapped, will pull up all the transportation services within that area.
- Nokia Drive will add a feature called My Commute that has your Windows Phone monitor your commuting patterns and map out the best route possible.
- The camera app will get a few new extensions that will give the camera a self-timer, a burst mode, a panorama mode and Smart Group Shot. Smart Group Shot will take several pictures of the same group and select the most suitable facial expressions (avoiding subjects with their eyes closed, mouth open, looking away, etc.)and combine it all into one shot. You can also choose which facial expression to use as well.
Details on when these new apps and updates will become available was left at "starting next week". We aren't sure if we'll see all hit at once or a few at a time over the next few weeks. As details come into better focus, we'll pass it on.