Fanless. Light. Long battery life. These are all the things that laptop, Ultrabook and tablet users can look forward to in 2015. Much of this is due to Intel's new Core M and fifth generation Core i series of chips.
The Toshiba Portégé Z20t brings a tablet into a laptop form with the familiar 2-in-1 form factors that are becoming more commonplace these days. The device lets users operate the Portégé as a standalone tablet, full laptop, or a full-power tablet with the display rotated around and even features a pen.
The specs on the Portégé are not too shabby, either.
Toshiba Portégé Z20t
- 12.5-inch Full HD (1920 x 1080), 350 NIT, IPS display with 10-finger capacitive touch support or digitzer touch screen
- Processor: Intel Core M processor
- Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 5300
- Storage: Up to 256 GB SSD
- Memory: Up to 8 GB LPDDR3 1600MHz onboard
- 11ac Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0 connectivity
- Gigabit Ethernet and two USB 3.0 ports
- 8 hours battery life (tablet); 16 hours combined with the keyboard
- Full HD front-facing webcam with 5 MP rear facing camera
- Optional Wacom digitizer with 2,048 points of sensitivity
- Security: Toshiba EasyGuard, Trusted Platform Module, Intel® Active Management Technology
- OS: Windows 8.1 Pro
- Laptop – from 3.5 lbs (1.59 kg)
- Tablet only – from 1.76 lbs (799 g)
The Toshiba Portégé Z20t is aimed at enterprise, businesses, educational institutions, and hospitals. The flexibility of the display, the long battery life, and the security features all ensure that institutions buying this in bulk will get a versatile device for varying conditions.
Because it uses a Core M, the Portégé Z20t is super fast but it does not need a fan to cool it down either, making it a sleek, durable device. The full Gigabit Ethernet port is a rarity these days and will certainly make those in business happy, and the two USB 3.0 ports makes sure that file transfers will be zippy.
Pricing for the Portégé Z20t should start at $1400, depending on configuration, and it will be available later this month in various markets.