Microsoft has announced that Project Spark, the game creation tool for the Xbox One and Windows platforms, will be moving to a completely free model on October 5. Currently, Project Spark sports a number of micro transactions, enabling users to snag extra content for their games for a price. After October 5, however, this content will be free for all.
In addition, Microsoft notes that there are some new features and content coming to Project Spark on October 5 as well. From Microsoft:
- The maximum terrain limit in creations has been doubled
- The maximum prop limit in creations has been increased by 500
- 200+ new assets have been added in game, including a dragon, goblin warlord, bog biome and a set of new primitive building blocks
- Each creator will now have a total of 100 Upload Slots for their creations
- UGC ranking will be based on downloads and favorites, instead of upvote/downvote ratings
- The Project Spark Marketplace has been removed
- The Project Spark Tour and Treasure Trove have been removed
- Achievements have been revamped for players and creators
As for those who purchased content for Project Spark, Microsoft notes that anyone who made a purchase for digital content or purchased and activated a retail disc on or after July 28, 2015 will receive Microsoft Store credit equivalent to their purchase. And the same goes for anyone who has a remainder left on in-game purchased tokens.