When it comes to browsing Reddit on Windows Phone we love using Readit. It’s relatively new app, launching just a few months back. It blew us away with its design, feature set, and usability. Like all apps, it had a few shortcomings, namely performance issues, but those have since been addressed with updates. Speaking of updates, Readit for Windows Phone just picked one up. Let’s check out what’s new and different in this massive update for Readit.
The last update we covered for Readit was version 18.104.22.168. That update wasn’t too bug and was most notable for improving a touch target in subreddits views. Today we’re looking at a substantially bigger update. The changelog is massive, so we pulled the most interesting bits of what’s new in version 1.5:
- Tombstoning supported fixed/added - no more blank subreddit pages
- Posts now support showing multiple tags (NSFW + Sticky, or .gif + sticky, etc.)
- Sticky posts now show a green title with a [sticky] tag beneath
- Friends subreddit will now be inserted, can't be unsubscribed - view friends posts here
- Previous and next posts are now preloaded in swipe view depending on the direction of your swipe
- You can now view gifs in albums
- Gifs can now be paused by tapping them
- You can now upload images/albums when replying to a post or comment - inserts link into comment
- You can now save an entire album via the app bar when viewing an album (replaces the save image button)
- Settings will no longer reset randomly
- You can now hide NSWF content completely in settings - browsing. Only affects loading posts, blocks nsfw subreddits
Stickied posts are green, NSFW tags added and you can pause Gifs for a better view.. :)
Massive update right? This is just the changelog for general items. Tombstoning has been improved in Readit v.15, which means you won’t see any more blank subreddits pages. You’ll also be able to view the various tags that a post might have (.gif, NSFW, etc).
We’re also really liking the changes made to media in Readit. Gifs can be paused by tapping them. That’s thanks to Readit using gfycat to view the gifs. The ability to download entire albums is also welcomed, especially when you find a cool set of photos you want to keep.