JDB Pocketware, developers of HandyScan, has a new Windows Phone app over in the Windows Phone Store. Social Scout is a Facebook Places app designed to help you explore what's nearby, find places, check-in and find out where your Facebook friends are.
While not developed or owned by Facebook, Social Scout taps into Facebook Places and lays out everything rather nicely across pages that show what places are nearby, where your friends have checked into, and a More Page that lists your most visited places, your check-ins, a "Feeling lucky" tile that will randomly select a restaurant for you to try, and a one touch check-in tile.
Other key features for Social Scout include:
- Nearby places with distance and orientation using GPS and compass
- Powerful searching
- Check-in • Driving directions
- Tag or attach photos to check-ins
- Comment or like friend’s check-ins
- Check-in history of your friends and yours
- Suggestions of places to eat around you
- View people profiles and check-ins
- Most visited places by area (by friends or by all)
- Facebook Touch integration
- Three different themes
You can adjust the preferences from the three-dot menu to limit which friends appear by their distance to you and how far back you want to see their check-in history. All in all, Social Scout is a nice Windows Phone app for keeping up and checking in with your Facebook network of friend and seeing what's around you..
There are two versions of Social Scout available in the Windows Phone Store. You have Social Scout Free that does have some limitations and is ad supported. The paid version of Social Scout does have a trial version with the full version running $1.99.