The NY Times official app version 2.0 for Windows Phone
If you're a fan of the "Old Gray Lady" aka the New York Times (www.nytimes.com), you'll want to make sure to grab version 2.0 of the app which should be hitting the Marketplace soon. The official NY Times app for Windows Phone came out last July 1st and hasn't had an update until now.
The app has had a nice revamp with the latest version, bringing it up to date with some of the latest functionality in Windows Phone. We've been running it a couple of days now and really like the added performance, new scrolling and video feature which lets you watch special clips of certain news events and cultural pieces. Here's the full changelog of what's new:
- Live Tile Integration - users can pin any of the sections and blogs as Live Tiles to quickly see the latest headlines at a glance
- Pivot Navigation – users can see articles, videos and blogs in each section
- Cloud Integration – users may save articles to the cloud for access from multiple devices
- Updated and refreshed design
- Improved performance and fast application switching
Of course the only downside is the "pay wall" for some articles--while you can get the latest headlines and videos for free the rest will require a NY Times membership. But even for free the app is worth taking a look at and a must-have if you already subscribe.
We'll have a more full-featured review coming up a bit later when the app hits the Marketplace.
Full press release after the break...