The other day we mentioned how the company GPS Tuner was gearing up for a release of their offline mapping solution for Windows Phone. What makes 'Turn by Turn Navigation US + CAN' unique when compared to the newly released Navigon is that you can select individual map regions to download as opposed to the whole country. As you can see above, we're downloading the Northeast US and it comes in at a humble 231MB which is a lot lighter than the 1.6GB Navigon makes you download.
The app is priced at $28.99, which considering the options you're getting, sounds pretty decent. Navigon is similarly priced in the US but that's just temporary until it gets bumped to $50, in that sense in the long run this app is certainly more cost efficient. Other features include:
- Voice-Guided Turn by Turn Navigation with premium audio quality
- Full detailed Navteq maps
- Automatic Map rotation according to your heading
- POI and address search
- Add POI-s or locations to Favorites
- Route calculation based on Time or Distance
- Supporting Portrait and Landscape mode
- Automatic re-routing if you miss a turn
- Speed dependent Volume control
- Driving and Walking directions
- US and Metric units are supported
- Itinerary (turn list for planned routes)
- Avoid Highway/Toll roads option
We're obviously in the middle of downloading some maps and we'll see about throwing up a video. Oh and best part? Unlike Navigon, you DO have a trial, so give it a go here in the Marketplace. And we expect a European version sometime soon too.
One thing that we can gripe about? It's not a Mango app. So no fast app switching nor is there any contacts integration, making quick routing a pain.
Thanks, TheWeeBear, for the heads up!