There’s some good news, bad news brewing in the Windows Phone Store as some app fragmentation is now becoming a little more evident. Such is the case with the updated official Vimeo app, which was bumped to version 1.3 this morning, joining the list of updated Windows Phone 8 apps. The bad news is it’s no longer available for Windows Phone 7.
We’re unsure if this is yet-another-Store error, meaning in the next few days Phone 7 owners will be able to download the app again, but for right now, it’s exclusive for those with the latest and greatest handsets on the market...
Version 1.3 is stunning, to say the least. Videos play in HD resolution and look fantastic on the HTC 8x’s 720P display and the Lumia 920’s PureMotion HD+ screen. In addition, you can use the NFC ability to tap-to-share with other Vimeo users, which should be fun and seems to work well from our tests. The full feature and change log is quite impressive:
- Watch and manage all your existing Vimeo videos
- Watch videos from your Vimeo inbox, Watch Later queue, or videos you have liked
- Use NFC Tap-to-Share to share Vimeo videos between phones
- Create live tiles from your videos or featured channels
- Easily like, comment on, and add videos to your Watch Later queue
- Discover new and fascinating featured videos
- Quickly search for videos on Vimeo
- Easily upload your footage in HD
- Pause and resume uploads
- Replace existing videos
- Share via Facebook, Twitter, email, or SMS
- Add videos to your Groups, Channels, and Albums
What can we say besides it’s a great app that works wonderfully on Windows Phone 8? Unfortunately though for now, Windows Phone 7 users are left holding the bag with this update, which hopefully is more oversight than shafting.
We’ll keep an eye out to see if any of this changes in the coming days. But for now, if you’re on Windows Phone 8, treat yourself to some stunning video-streaming with the official Vimeo app found here on the Windows Phone Store.