In the next few hours an update to the official app for Windows Central will be hitting your phones, PCs, and tablets.
The app was just submitted to the Store, and it can take a few hours before it is live, but for now we'll give you a sneak peek of what is new.
Windows Central App Build 33 (v1.1.33)
- Swipe to comments from article - Due to constraints with WebView adding swipe was a bit of a challenge, but Daniel Gary managed to get it to work. You can now swipe from right edge to shift between the article and comments. Note that swiping from the left brings up the hamburger menu, so just swipe right as it will cycle through article and comments endlessly.
- Jump to last in forums - As we have added features to the news feed we said we would bring those to the forum, and we're starting with Jump to Last. Just like in comments you can now hit the down arrow to jump to the last comment with the caveat that you may have a tap a couple of times in topics with a lot of posts. We have more to do with forums, of course, but this is a start.
- Improved video playback - The embedded YouTube player should now look better on desktop including correctly formatted size when in full-screen mode
- Video Playback should no longer cause the app to freeze - Some users had issues with the playback freezing, that too should be fixed here
- Improved performance - Once again, this build should, ahem, feel faster for the article and feed loading. We moved Article WebView to its own thread to help here. If you are on a high-end Windows Phone and a fast connection, the app should really feel zippy now.
- Fixed login issues - For some users after an app update the login icon would disappear under the Settings cog. It was still there, but invisible. This was a tricky bug that only affected some users, but it should now be fixed with this release.
- Search fixed - In the previuos release Search would turn up the correct articles, but they would not load (only the comments would). That issue should also be resolved.
We'll see how this build goes out and continue to improve things where we can. We'll soon be starting to add more features again and begin to do more with the forums as well.
Let us know what you think but more importantly continue to leave feedback and vote on our Windows Central UserVoice page.