There's a lot going on in the world of Windows Phone. So much, in fact, that it is sometimes tough to catch every important story.
Device rumors come and go. New apps join the Windows Phone Store, and your favorite app can get a big update with a new look or new features.
Therefore, every week we will compile a list of the Windows Phone news that you just shouldn't miss. Welcome to the "Windows Mobile Weekly Digest."
1. Windows Mobile
Well, the Microsoft Lumia 650 is finally official, and even though it is an entry-level Windows 10 phone, its specs make it a more than capable. We picked up a Microsoft Lumia 650 of our own and found that despite the low price point, there's a lot to like about it.
Meanwhile, rumor had it that Alcatel OneTouch is working on a "superphone." The Windows 10 Mobile device will reportedly be called the Idol Pro 4 and will allegedly have a full HD display, along with a Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 processor and Continuum support.
Speaking of Continuum, NexDock has launched an Indiegogo campaign for a laptop-like dock for Continuum-ready phones, stick computers, and the like. The dock features a 14-inch LCD and keyboard in a clamshell configuration that will retail for about $120.
The Windows Device Recovery Tool was updated to support more third-party phones. Version 3.1.6 now lets you recover your AlcatelOne FierceXL, BLU Win HD W510U, BLU Win HD LTE X150Q, and MCJ Madosma Q501 to previous versions of Windows.
A Facebook post by Microsoft Mexico may have revealed the official rollout date of Windows 10 Mobile. The post says' "the update to Windows 10 will be available as from 29 February," but does not say whether that is just a regional decision or an across-the-board release.
According to AdDuplex's latest numbers, Windows 10 Mobile only owns 5 percent of the Windows smartphone ecosystem. What looks like a steep drop from the month before is actually due to a correction by AdDuplex, who incorrectly tallied the numbers last month.
Though many have already pronounced Windows Mobile dead, we took a deeper look at Microsoft's Windows 10 Mobile strategy for 2016, which is still very much alive.
Other notable items:
- Lumia 650 now official, launching in Europe on Feb. 18 for under $200
- Microsoft's Lumia 650 support page confirms phone is coming to Cricket Wireless
- Microsoft France has posted a gorgeous Lumia 650 promo video
- Here's where you can pre-order the Lumia 650 in Europe
- Windows 10 Mobile Redstone update rumored to bring touchscreens and 2K to Continuum
- Mozo's snazzy Lumia 650 cases available on MobileFun, leather flip case joins the lineup
- Convince a friend in the UK to buy a Lumia 950, get a £50 Microsoft Store gift card
- Lumia 650 pre-orders now live from Microsoft in Russia
- Lumia 650 from Meteor in Ireland will come with free wireless headphones
- Lumia 950 XL gets a $100 price cut at B&H Photo to $530
- Free Office 365 offer with Lumia 950/950 XL purchase expanded to India and more countries
- Lumia 640 still picking up share of the Windows Phone market, but no sign of new Lumias
- I ditched my Surface and only used Continuum on my Lumia — here's how it went
Hulu unveiled their new Universal app for Windows 10 this week, showing off a new interface, support for their ad-free and SHOWTIME add-ons, and improved streaming video quality.
Following the recent release of its PC counterpart, the makers of Todoist have developed a new preview for Windows 10 Mobile. Both versions are still in the early stages, so expect some bumps along the way.
The PBS Video app, which landed in the Windows Store for PC a few weeks ago, is now available for Windows 10 Mobile as well.
Twitter client Tweet It! for Windows Mobile was updated with improved language support and went on sale for $2.99. Earlier in the week, Tweet It! for Windows 10 for PC got a significant patch as well, with Tweet Marker syncing and Pocket integration.
The Microsoft Health app joined its companion wearables, the Band and Band 2, in getting an update this week. Most notably, the app added a Live Tile that displays your Band's battery status, your number of steps, and calories burned.
Last, but certainly not least, we bring you the all new Windows Central app-preview for Windows 10!. Built from the ground up for Windows 10, the new app works on your PC and phone, complete with Continuum support.
And even though our editor and developer have worked tirelessly to bring you everything you could want in a Windows Central app, it isn't quite 100%, so bear with it. Be sure to chime in with your feedback on the new Windows Central UserVoice page and let us know what you think.
Other notable items:
- A closer look at Fhotoroom for Windows 10 Mobile
- The unofficial Twitch.tv app Unstream streams in as today's AdDuplex HERO App
- Keep track of birthdays with this nifty universal Windows 10 app
- Network Data is a universal Windows 10 app to track all your usage
- Freda+ eBook Reader comes in as this week's myAppFree Deal
- Twitter for Windows 10 snags a minor update
- Microsoft updates the Office Mobile suite for Windows 10
- Flight Factory gains smart search, single sign-on and more in latest update
- Xbox app for Windows 10 update offers easier access to your friends
- Manage your couch-potato time with TV Show Tracker for Windows PC and Phone
- Facebook for Windows Phone 8.1 snags minor update
- Microsoft updates MSN and Glance Screen apps for Windows 10 Mobile
- Discover what is around you with today's AdDuplex HERO App: Near by
- Vine for Windows Phone gets a minor update
- Outlook Mail and Calendar gets small update on Windows 10 PC and Mobile
Candy Crush Soda Saga picked up 20 new levels this week, bringing the total number to 705. This latest episode has you helping out Percy the Penguin in the Candy Fishin' Hole.
King also released their puzzle game Papa Pear Saga on Windows 10 PC and Mobile. Solve your way through hundreds of levels, with new ones added every two weeks. You can sync your games between devices and compete for a spot on the leaderboards.
Both Minecraft Pocket and Windows 10 Editions added new features for Redstone users. The new pack, which sells for $1.99, includes building enhancements, new skins, and some diabolical witches.
Other notable items:
- Build an army and destroy the neighbors with Hero Sky: Epic Guild War for Windows 10 PC and Mobile
- Test your trick shot skills with T.H.I.S. for Windows Phone
- Test your trivia smarts with the AdDuplex HERO App Max Quiz
Be sure to weigh in on this week's news in the comments section. See you next week!