It's another weekend over so here's your Windows Phone summary. This week we've had the Mobile Nations Monday brief, Mobile Nations podcast, WPCentral Podcast episode 124 and a developer interview with Ronny Gydar of Trine's Hangman. Our Dave Blake has also compiled the top discussions happening over at our forum.
We were at HTC event in London on Thursday, check out our summary, our hands on videos of the Radar and Titan, special episode 124.5 of the WPCentral Podcast and the official product pages. Check out the rest of the summary after the quick break.
Kik has published some interesting data that indicates releasing their Windows Phone app gave a boost to iOS and Android user growth. Microsoft has paired with PEGI for game ratings on the platform, while Litigation claims Microsoft is tracking users via the camera. Mango has been rumoured to be set for September 15th, but was not spoken of at the HTC London Event.
We covered a case study last week that looked at the revenue potential between Android and Windows Phone. Part two of that study reveals a massive gap between advertisement earnings in Android and WP7. Transhub, a Sydney public transportation app, is now available on the Marketplace and received the 2011 Spotlight Award from Microsoft during the 2011 Tech.Ed Conference in Australia.
Moving swiftly onto gaming and our Paul Acevedo has got hold of the makers of Beards & Beaks for an interview. We have the official Your Shape: Fitness Evolved companion app for Windows Phone working its way onto the Marketplace. Fable Coin Golf is this week's Xbox Live Deal of the Week, while Fight Game Rivals finally arrives into the ring and is ready to throw some punches.
Gravity Guy, a platformer from Miniclip, is on its way and will arrive on September 7th and Bouncy Mouse... erm... bounces onto the stage. Mobilewares, Australia-based publisher, is looking for some beta testers for two of their upcoming games: Words! and Jumble!
Mango seems to be missing the "Find on Page" feature in IE9 and is said to be making a return someday. Microsoft has shown off a Metro style concept for windows 8, which still seems to be aiming for a simple yet elegant interface. An official SkyDrive app could well be on the way with more device integration, while the BBC still hold back from developing an iPlayer app for the platform.
Windows Phone Connector for Mac is upgraded to v2.0 in time for Mango's arrival, with Samsung closely behind updating their Now app, which receives live tile treatment. NAVIGON GPS is announced and later demoed at IFA 2011. It ain't gonna be cheap.
HTC have certainly been busy bees this week, but they've been making some changes here and there including moving attentive phone, sound enhancer and more to the Settings section of the OS in favour of separate apps. Tango is also seen on a HTC device at the London event, no not the OS code name, but a video calling app. Can we get more interesting than that? Oh yes, HTC also have a DLNA app for Mango.
We've had one crazy week for hardware on the platform, make no exception that the HTC Omega/Radar has appeared on the web for sale. Not only are we continuing to see more Nokia handset model numbers, but Nokia were looking to the fan base for ideas as to how they should name their series. We've seen a rumoured capture of the Nokia 703, which looks to strongly resemble the N9.
Another interesting feature that the HTC Radar and Titan sport is to be turned into a temporary alarm clock or desk prop with an optional dock accessory - pretty cool. The HTC Titan and Radar are also set to be available on Amazon UK from October 15th, but if I'm honest I'm personally still brainwashed by Nokia's N9 design approach. The Acer W4 gets shown off in a number of photos for all Acer fans to see.
For fun we have some Metro-to-Android movement that's getting more accurate by each attempt, although one thing is almost always a certainty - it'll never be Windows Phone. The Windows Phone YouTube channel has received a Metro makeover and looks sweeeet!
- Kik on WP7 boosts iOS and Android growth
- Microsoft pairs with PEGI for WP7 game rating
- Litigation claims Microsoft is tracking you
- Mango update release coming September 15th? [Updated]
- HTC London Event Summary - it was loudly brilliant
- Android vs Windows Phone free apps - A case study: Part II
- Transhub lands down under in the Marketplace
- Xbox Live Developer Interview: Microsoft Game Studios, makers of Beards & Beaks
- Official Your Shape: Fitness Evolved companion app for Windows Phone released
- Xbox Live Deal of the Week: Fable Coin Golf is a hole in one
- Fight Game Rivals arrives on the Marketplace, beats everybody up
- Gravity Guy flips onto Xbox Live on September 7
- Bouncy Mouse swings into the Marketplace
- Mobilewares seeking beta testers for two new titles
- Missing Mango feature "Find on Page" in IE9 to return, someday
- Microsoft shows off new Metro Start Menu for Win8
- SkyDrive mobile apps on the way?
- BBC iPlayer for Windows Phone? [Updated]
- Mango's pictures and camera features come to light
- Windows Phone Connector for Mac upgraded to v2.0 for Mango
- Samsung's Now app gets Mango update, Live Tiles
- NAVIGON GPS navigation announced for Windows Phone 7
- HTC ditches apps - Attentive Phone, Sound Enhancer, etc. move to Settings
- HTC Tango video calling for Windows Phone
- Samsung updates Photo Studio for Mango, gets front-facing camera support
- HTC DLNA app in Mango
- vNesLight (NES emulator) now available in Beta 2
- Navigon for Windows Phone demoed at IFA 2011
- For Sale: HTC Omega/Radar
- Nokia 703 Windows Phone joins the 800 and Nokia taking suggestions for names of US phones
- Samsung i8350 Omnia W to sport 1.4Ghz chip and NFC?
- Minor issues crop up with the Fujitsu IS12T
- Rumor: Image of Nokia 703 Windows Phone leaks?
- Nokia Windows Phone confirmed for Mexico?
- Official HTC Mozart localized for Russian goes on sale?
- Radar and Titan to get dock accessories + hands on video
- HTC Titan and Radar (SIM free) available October 15th from Amazon UK
- HTC's Titan and Radar put through their paces
- Acer W4 gets pictured in detail
- Toshiba TG01 Tsunagi with Windows Phone 7 in the house
- HTC Titan launching October 4th in the Netherlands
- Android users mix in some Metro to beautify their UI
- More Metro UI on Android
- Windows Phone YouTube channel gets a Metro makeover
- HTC London Event Presentation with Philip Blair