There's a lot going on in the world of Windows Phone. So much, in fact, that it is sometimes tough to catch every important story. Device rumors come and go. New apps join the Windows Phone Store, and your favorite app can get a big update with a new look or new features.
Therefore, every week we will compile a list of the Windows Phone news that you just shouldn't miss. Welcome to the "Windows Phone Weekly Digest."
1. Windows Phone
There are some new Windows phones on the horizon. Verizon's Microsoft Lumia 735 will reportedly hit shelves on June 11. Meanwhile, in Japan, the Mouse Computer MADOSMA's release is all but imminent. We were able to get our hands on one at Computex Taipei prior to its launch.
Also at Computex, Philippines-based phone and tablet maker Cherry Mobile revealed their plan to release the Alpha Prime 4 and Alpha Prime 5, what will be two of the first smartphones to be sold with Windows 10 Mobile pre-installed.
And while we eagerly await a new preview build of Windows 10 Mobile, a video of the unreleased build 10127 showed us a new design for the Settings menu. The new look comes much closer to resembling the Windows 10 settings menu on PC and also supports landscape mode.
As for Windows Phone 8.1, Update 2 is now live for some Microsoft Lumia 735 and Lumia 830s. In addition, Verizon's HTC One M8 for Windows also started getting the Update 2 upgrade.
If you are not familiar with what Update 2 brings to the table, be sure to check out our rundown of what's new in it.
Other notable items:
Creators of one of our favorite Reddit clients, Readit, had a bit of scare when it appeared that they would not be able to release a Windows 10 version of their app, due to a squatter reserving the app name. Fortunately, they were able to resolve the issue with the help of Microsoft.
Two third-party website clients received updates to fix issues with the APIs they use. Flickr app Flickr Central repaired a bug that was preventing users from logging into their accounts. And myTube put out a patch to fix errors caused by the latest YouTube API.
Despite rumblings that Nokia is trying to sell off their HERE Maps division, their HERE Maps apps got a huge offline maps update, bringing with it "millions of changes."
- Improved accessibility: compatibility with the 'ease of access' text size on phone settings
- Videos are now included in gallery view
- New share menu
- Improved UX
- Bug fixes and performance improvements
Other notable items:
- Microsoft's How-Old app for Windows Phone no longer available, but don't panic just yet
- 4castr version 1.9 brings hourly forecast, new radar sources, and much more
- Running + Free, a simple but effective Windows Phone app to track your runs
- Podcasts snags an update, no changelog in sight
- Todoist integrates itself with Evernote, Google Calendar, and GitHub
- GoPro Windows Phone app updated with support for new Hero+ LCD camera
- Realarm picks up another update with new features, languages and sounds
- TRAINR app for Windows Phone updated with Microsoft Band integration
In games, Real Cricket 15 landed on Windows Phone, giving players a chance to take a swing on their mobile device.
We joined in the fight protect the kingdom from the goblins in Tiny Empire, a 16-bit arcade game with a retro feel.
Developer group Game Troopers had productive week. Not only did they release their quiz game What In The World?, but they also expanded their hit game Make It Rain to Windows 8.1 and updated the Windows Phone version. Additionally, they put out a teaser trailer for Tiny Troopers 2, a follow-up to their Windows Phone action-strategy game.
In what feels like a weekly occurrence, Subway Surfers got updated with a new locale. This time, it's Venice, Italy.
And lastly, zombie shooter Dead Trigger 2 picked up its first update since landing on Windows Phone in April. The update includes new tournaments, performance improvements, and more.
Other notable items:
- Doodle Jump DC sees you chase notorious Gotham villains to retrieve stolen crystals
- The puzzle solving game Pilot Brothers 2 is this week's myAppFree Deal
- Get A Grip takes you high into the trees with a brand new endless climbing experience
- Overkill 3 for Windows Phone and Windows 8.1 both receive small updates
- Iron Snout for Windows Phone - Brawling with the Big Bad Wolf
- Deal Alert: Hitman GO drops to 99 cents for Xbox on Windows and Windows Phone
Be sure to weigh in on this week's news in the comments section. See you next week!