Update: We made some amendments to this article to repair some incorrect information, apologies for the mix-up!
The recently announced Xbox Beta Windows 10 app update, which introduces a bunch of new features like suggested friends, is now live on the Windows Store. Those with a Windows 10 PC will be able to download the update and enjoy the latest news, find new friends and see what's trending.
Should you require reminding exactly what these new features will enable you to do with the Xbox Beta app for Windows 10, here's a snippet from the official announcement:
- Avatar Store: Equip your avatar with the latest avatar items in the newly-integrated 'Avatar Store'. On the console, the Store is built right into the Xbox Avatars app and on Windows 10 PCs and phones, access the Store through the Xbox Avatars app. Get access to the entire catalog of new and oldie-but-goodie items, including free items. As you're perusing catalogs, enjoy the ability to preview the items on your avatar real-time before you buy.
- Xbox News: Xbox News is a one-stop source for all the latest information about new hardware, console updates, game releases, tournaments like the Halo World Championship, breaking entertainment content, and more. This month, both Xbox Beta app and Xbox One Preview audiences will see Xbox News posts in their activity feed to make it easier to stay up to date on all things Xbox.
- Improvements to Trending: Across Xbox One Preview and Xbox Beta app experiences this month for console and Windows 10 PCs and phones, you'll notice a new access point for Trending items to the right of the Community tab on your console and in the left menu area of the Xbox app. This gets you to a dedicated Trending landing page with the most popular topics across Xbox Live surfaced at the top followed by an inspirational assortment of top videos, screenshots, achievements, and more that members across the community have created or unlocked. Consider friending or following publishers of content that you like.
- Suggested friends: In both the Xbox One Preview and Xbox Beta app, we're making it easier to get details on your suggested friends. Starting this month, if you click 'see all' or double tap on the shortlist of friend suggestions in any scenario, you will be pointed to a full-screen view of all suggested friends.
- Compact mode for Xbox App: With this update to the Xbox Beta app, we've moved additional functions to compact mode which will enable you to quickly switch between your friends' view, your party, messages and activity alerts. A quick click allows you to keep an eye on what your friends are up to, while multi-tasking on your Windows PC!
Head to the Windows Store to download this latest release and be sure to let us know in the comments how you find the new functionality. Do note that this is a beta app, so you should expect to see bugs and possible glitches if you opt to fire up the app instead of the live Xbox One version.
Source: Mike Ybarra (Twitter)