Microsoft has updated the Xbox Live Companion app for iOS and released a version for the Android system. While there was no movement on the Windows Phone version, the iOS update may be a good indicator on what might be in store.
The Xbox Live Companion update for iOS takes that app to version 1.5 and adds the following features for the iPhone or iPad.
- Discover fresh content from the iPhone
- Connect to and control content on your Xbox console from the iPhone
- Authentication improvements for the iPad
- Retina display support for the iPad
The Android version of the Xbox Live Companion is limited to:
- View, manage, and message friends
- View Xbox achievement progress
- View and edit your LIVE profile
- Edit your avatar
- Stay connected to the Xbox Live community via Spotlight
- Access recent activity and manage beacons
While it's nice to see Microsoft continuing to improve iOS and Android users connectivity with their Xbox console it would have been nice to have seen the Windows Phone app given a little attention. Then again, SmartGlass will eventually become available and may make the companion app obsolete.
Source: Major Nelson