Microsoft layoffs slash into European Xbox division

The massive Microsoft layoffs announced yesterday are cutting deep across the company, with the latest word of hits coming at Xbox EMEA (Europe, Middle East, and Asia). While 2/3 of the cuts are hitting job redundancies with Microsoft Mobile division (formerly Nokia), substantial layoffs are expected across the organization. According to MCV, Xbox EMEA could see up to 75% of its staff cut, and the staff will have to duke it out for the remaining 25%.

Xbox UK is apparently not being hit as hard, with a 10% cut in head count coming, though all contractor have reportedly been axed.

Microsoft said that the cuts won't impact the impending launch of the Xbox One in 13 more European countries this September, and that they remain committed to said market:

"We remain very committed to the market and will continue to support our local development teams. We believe that the UK has exceptional games industry talent and we'll continue to focus on game creation in the through Microsoft Studios like Rare, Lionhead Studios, Lift London and Soho Productions. Also, Europe continues to be an important market for Xbox, and we're excited to launch Xbox One to fans in 13 mainland European markets in September."

What do you see coming of these cuts?

Source: MCV