For those that are looking to advance their skills in English, Oxford has recently launched their best seller for Windows Phone. The Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary app contains a full A-Z dictionary and samples of British and North American speakers to help tailor your desired skill set. We certainly love to see more official apps filling in those blanks, and this looks like a good one.
A word of note here to those with razor thin amounts of space on their handsets, this app is going to require a 450MB download after you grab the initial app.
Here are some of the key features: -
- Listen to real British and American voices pronounce words, with no Internet access required
- Access spoken example sentence audio online, or download all 116,000 example sentences to listen offline (approximately 430MB each for British and American sentences)
- 184,500 words, phrases and meanings explained clearly
- 198,500 example sentences
- 57,000 synonyms, opposites and related words - find words with similar or opposite meanings in the integrated Thesaurus
- Learn words in their natural context with over 83,000 collocations (words that go together) included
- Use Full Dictionary Search to find your word in any phrase or example sentence in the dictionary
- Study usage notes, verb forms, and word origins
- All the dictionary text is live- tap to instantly look up any word
- Bookmark your Favourite entries to easily find them again
450MB download required after app install
We were able to grab the 450MB download and install it pretty quick on our broadband but suspect that others might have to wait some time. Whilst not an exhaustive look, the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary does seem pretty neat, adhering to Windows Phone’s UI. Most of the space is likely taken up with the extensive speech samples and considering just how useful that is, well worth the memory hit.
There is a trial version so we’d highly recommend checking it out before committing to buy. The app weighs in at UK 19.99 or $26.99 US. We’d be interested to hear what you think of the app in the comments bellow.
Marketplace Link | Here
Thanks, himanshu, for the tip!
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Microsoft shares details of a security breach of customer support database
Microsoft disclosed the details surrounding a security breach from last December. The breach involves roughly 250 million entries from an internal customer support database.
Project xCloud on the NVIDIA Shield is almost like playing a regular Xbox
The only Android TV box really worth buying is already part games console, and xCloud takes that even further. Sideload at your own risk, but this is a lot of fun.
You can now manually check for the Windows 10 November 2019 Update
If you're running a recent version of Windows 10, you can now manually check for the Windows 10 November 2019 Update.
Make the most of your Surface Pen and Slim Pen with these awesome apps
To really maximize the ability of the Surface Pen and Slim Pen, there are some essential apps you should check out. We've rounded up the best right here for a variety of purposes.