Windows Hello is a biometric security system that uses either a biometrically-enabled camera or a fingerprint reader to log you into your Windows 10 device. Windows Hello is easy to set up when you have the correct hardware — here's a list of the best laptops that support Windows Hello with either a camera or a fingerprint reader.
The best laptops with Windows Hello
The list of laptops compatible with Windows Hello continues to grow. Here are some of the overall best based on whether or not they're using a compatible camera or a fingerprint reader.
Looking for more laptops that support Windows Hello? Check out our complete list.
Windows Hello facial recognition
- Alienware 15 — Real desktop gaming performance with up to an NVIDIA GTX 1080 graphics card (GPU) and an overclocked Core i7-7820HK processor (CPU).
- Dell Inspiron 15 5570 — Eighth-gen Intel Core CPU, 1080p display, and competitive price make this a popular option for professional and regular users alike.
- HP Spectre x360 13 — If you love the idea of a 13-inch convertible laptop, you can't go wrong here. Eighth-gen Intel CPU, plenty of RAM, and a stunning touch display.
- HP Spectre x360 15 — This convertible laptop might be the best 15-inch device available.
- Lenovo Miix 720 — This stylish 2-in-1 has a seventh-gen Intel CPU, beautiful QHD+ touch display, and dual watchband hinges.
- Microsoft Surface Book 2 — Microsoft's main modular laptop has desktop performance and a beautiful design, now available in 13- and 15-inch configurations.
- Microsoft Surface Laptop — This is a Surface device for lovers of a strict notebook design.
- Microsoft Surface Pro — Whether you'd like a tablet or a notebook, this versatile device is a worldwide favorite.
- Samsung Notebook 9 Pro 15 — Unbelievably thin and light, this convertible includes a built-in pen and the performance hardware needed to tackle a day's work.
Windows Hello fingerprint reader
- Acer Swift 7 — Seventh-gen Intel CPU, 13-inch 1080p display, plenty of ports, and a snazzy gold finish.
- ASUS ZenBook UX330 — An attractive price and an equally attractive build including an eighth-gen Intel CPU.
- Dell XPS 13 — One of the best laptops for anyone who loves a standard 13-inch notebook with eighth-gen Intel CPUs.
- Dell XPS 15 — Like the smaller XPS 13, this 15-inch laptop has a beautiful, slim design and powerful hardware inside.
- Huawei MateBook — Tablet with a 1440p display and a fingerprint reader built right in.
- Huawei MateBook X — Almost unbelievably thin with a 1440p display and powerful hardware within.
- Lenovo ThinkPad T470 — One of the best business laptops made today.
- Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon — Thin, light, and ThinkPad.
- Lenovo Yoga 720 15 — A GTX 1050 GPU, Core i7-7700HQ CPU, and a 15.6-inch touch display to go along with the convertible design.
- Lenovo Yoga 920 — Quality convertible laptop with a 4K display, watchband hinge, and eighth-gen Intel hardware.
- Samsung Notebook 9 15 — Underrated Ultrabook that's slim and light without sacrificing performance.
Best standalone IR cameras for Windows Hello
Already have a laptop or desktop PC that doesn't have a built-in camera compatible with Windows Hello? No problem. These standalone options will do the trick.
LilBit USB IR camera
This IR webcam from LilBit (about $70) clips onto your monitor or laptop display to offer quick logins through Windows Hello facial recognition.
It's also sporting a standard 720p webcam for video-conferencing, and the entire package is only about five inches long.
Gamers who want a few more features on their camera will want to check out the Razer Stargazer. It allows you to remove or switch the background while you stream at 60FPS without using a green screen backdrop. This camera seems to be getting harder to find, but if you luck out, expect to now pay upwards of $200.
Logitech BRIO 4K webcam
One of the best Hello-compatible webcam to hit the market, the BRIO 4K from Logitech is a fantastic camera — if you can afford it at about $180. It will do pretty much everything you want, including recording 4K footage and virtual removal of backgrounds.
If you're interested in owning one of the best webcams out there, make sure you head over and check out our full review of the BRIO 4K.
If you're interested in adding Windows Hello facial recognition to your laptop for relatively cheap, the Mouse camera (about $70) is a solid option. It can record up to a resolution of 1,280 x 720 at 30 frames-per-second, but the real attraction is, of course, the IR camera for fast, hands-free logins. For more information, be sure to read our review.
For more great webcams, both compatible with Windows Hello and not, check out our picks for the best Windows 10 webcams.
Best fingerprint scanners compatible with Windows Hello
If you'd rather use a fingerprint scanner on a laptop that doesn't come with one built in, we've already chosen the best option money can buy. There are a bunch of other options available as well if our opinion of the best doesn't quite match yours.
Updated January 2, 2018: We refreshed this list to include all the latest options.
This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy for more details.