What you need to know
- A new update is rolling out to Windows Insiders in the Beta and Release Preview channels.
- This cumulative update contains security fixes in line with today's Patch Tuesday releases.
- The update is available now via Windows Update.
If you're a Windows Insider testing out the Beta and Release Preview channels, there's a fresh Windows 10 update ready for download. This update coincides with today's December Patch Tuesday releases, and it contains the same fixes found in those updates. Notably, that means there aren't any new features, though you'll see a couple of security fixes.
Here's a look at the release notes posted by Microsoft:
- We fixed a security vulnerability by preventing applications that run as a SYSTEM account from printing to "FILE:" ports. To address this issue in the future, make sure your applications or services run as a specific user or service account.
- Security updates to Microsoft Edge Legacy, the Microsoft Graphics Component, Windows Media, Windows Fundamentals, and Windows Virtualization.
This update is rolling out as 20H2 Build 19042.685 (KB4592438) for Windows Insiders in the Release Preview and Beta channels who are running the Windows 10 October 2020 Update. As is typical with these releases, you can download this one now via Windows Update.
Alongside this release, Microsoft also announced a new way to test servicing stack updats with WSUS. From the blog post:
Administrators can check out more in-depth information on the above changes in a separate blog post (opens in new tab) from Microsoft.
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.