Gameloft is certainly committed to the Windows and Windows Phone ecosystem, as the publishing house has released numerous games for both platforms over the last few months. Today, this continues with Cars: Fast as Lightning, based off the hit Pixar movie Cars 2 (2011).
Cars: Fast as Lightning is being simultaneously released on the App Store, Google Play, and Windows. As of now, we do not see a Windows Phone version, though it may pop up later.
The game weighs in at 104 MB, is free, and it runs on RT devices as well as x86/x64 Windows 8.1 machines. We did run into a few hiccups running the Windows 10 preview, but our Surface 2 ran the game just fine, albeit with slightly more choppiness.
Cars: Fast as Lightning lets the user race around the track, jumping ramps and dodging various obstacles. The race itself is guided, with the user only controlling acceleration, braking and ramping.
The game boasts the following features:
- Lightning McQueen and Mater are hosting a racing EXTRAVAGANZA and they're going to need some speed!
- The official Disney/Pixar Cars game with 20 characters to race as and customize with paint jobs!
- High-quality acting and animations with Owen Wilson as the voice of Lightning McQueen!
- Acceleration-charged racing with easy-to-learn controls, fast nitro boosts & other speedy surprises!
- Completely customizable racing experience to perform amazing stunts!
- A Radiator Springs building game, featuring over 30 interactive town buildings!
The game is free, but there are optional in-app purchases that can be made to 'cheat' and get ahead early on without collecting the gems and stickers. Still, the game looks to be a lot of fun for the younglings, and we did not mind playing it too much either.
Thanks, Zapella T., for the tip!