If you are a member of the Xbox One's preview program, you will soon have the choice of whether or not to get early versions of the upcoming Windows 10 dashboard update. Microsoft has decided to make this particular update as an option for preview members.
In a blog post, Microsoft stated:
- We will roll this update out over time to Preview members who opt in for it. We'll start with a set of Preview members who have historically submitted the most feedback - it will not roll out to everyone at the same time. Our goal is to start with a group, get feedback, then roll out to larger groups for additional feedback over time.
- If you're a member of the Xbox One Preview Program, you will get an invitation sent to you in an Xbox Live message.
- From the invitation launch the Xbox Preview Dashboard and select the registration option.
- You can then opt-in by selecting "Preview – New Xbox One Experience".
- If you choose not to participate in this update (you just leave your registration as preview), you will continue to receive "regular" Preview Program updates going forward. This will not remove you from the Xbox Preview Program.
- New builds will regularly roll out over a period of several weeks to those who opt in, and our engineering team will work to improve the features and fix any bugs they identify throughout the preview testing.
Microsoft has previously stated the first Windows 10 updates would be sent out to Xbox One preview members sometime in September. The final release of the update for all Xbox One owners is scheduled for November. It will include a new user interface for the Home menu, a new community section and support for playing a large number of older Xbox 360 games via backwards compatibility.