Microsoft will release firmware updates for nearly all of its Surface family of tablets today, including the new 12-inch Surface Pro 3, which will get another update later this month.
Here's the change log for the Surface Pro 3 July 8 firmware:
- Surface Pro Embedded Controller Firmware (v.188.8.131.52) reducing power consumption, and enhancing system stability.
- Surface Pro System Aggregator Firmware (v. 184.108.40.206) enhancing battery life, and increasing efficiency and reliability in low power states.
- Surface Type Cover Firmware Update (v. 2.0.1021.0) improving trackpad reliability and system stability.
- Surface Accessory Device (v. 2.0.1012.0) helping the on-screen keyboard (OSK) appear and disappear at the correct times.
- Wireless Network Controller and Bluetooth (v. 15.68.3042.79) enhancing system stability, reducing power consumption in low power states, and improving some WiFi connection scenarios.
Microsoft also announced that a second firmware update for the Surface Pro 3 will be released on July 16 "to further improve Wi-Fi connection and throughput scenarios."
The Surface Pro 2 gets just one minor update today
- Wireless Network Controller (v 14.69.24054.176) enables functionality on wireless networks utilizing hidden SSIDs
The Surface Pro gets a rather detailed firmware update for July:
- Surface Pro System Aggregator Firmware (v2.84.0350) improves battery management when a Surface Cover is attached.
- Surface Pro UEFI (v1.6.350) provides support for PXE boot with the new Surface Ethernet Adapter.
- Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 (v10.18.10.3496) improves Miracast wireless display experience and enhances display stability.
- Intel(R) Display Audio (v6.16.00.3135) enhances compatibility and improves the display experience for DisplayPort monitors.
- Surface Accessory Device (v1.0.338.0) improves the experience when using Surface accessories.
- Surface Power Cover Firmware update (v1.0.339.0) improves the experience when using Surface Power Cover.
While the regular Surface 2 tablet won't get an update, owners of the LTE version do have to download some new firmware for one issue:
- Modem Firmware Update (v5.706.306.1) enhances the performance and reliability of AT&T 4G LTE network on Surface 2 4G LTE.
Finally, even the Surface RT gets an update today:
- Surface Home Button Driver (v220.127.116.11) enhances system stability in both the active state and the sleep/wake transition state.
What do you think of Microsoft offering new firmware updates for most of its Surface tablets?
Source: Surface History page