Every weekend, Windows Central livestreams an Xbox One or Steam game for 1-2 hours and gives out free games to the cool people who join us during the stream. It's like a live podcast, only you also get to watch a game while chatting with our awesome readers and viewers! We call this show Saturday Game School, because learning about games is fun.
Tonight on Beam, we played Neverwinter: Storm King's Thunder – Sea of Moving Ice, the latest expansion for Perfect World's hit Dungeons & Dragons-themed MMO. Read on for quick impressions, contest winners, and the full video replay.
Neverwinter: Storm King's Thunder – Sea of Moving Ice
Neverwinter is a free-to-play Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game (MMORPG) based on the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons universe. Players will team up to battle against Valindra, a powerful Lich, the Demogorgon, a fierce two-headed demon, and other monstrous foes who threaten the peaceful city of Neverwinter and surrounding lands.
Perfect World unleashes new Neverwinter expansions every few months, always for free. The latest update is Storm King's Thunder– Sea of Moving Ice, which continues the storyline of the previous expansion and adds the following:
- Assault on Svardborg – This epic, new level 70 trial pits 10 adventurers against the mighty Jarl Storvald in the heart of his stronghold, with both Normal and Master difficulty levels.
- New Adventure Zone – Adventurers will traverse over half a dozen large ice mountains and several smaller icebergs to muster support against Jarl Storvald and his threat of endless winter.
- New Means of Travel – The khyek is a new nautical vessel players will use to traverse the Sea of Moving Ice.
- Fishing Mini Game – Adventurers can hop in the khyek and cast a line to catch over a hundred different species of fish, gaining reputation used to access and upgrade powerful, new weapons.
- Treasure Hunting – While reeling in their daily catch, adventurers may discover bottles filled with maps, leading to treasure throughout the Sea of Moving Ice.
- Artifact Weaponry – Reclaiming lost giant relics from enemies through new activities is an effort that won't go unnoticed, as players will earn weapons far stronger than any seen before.
Watch us play the opening moments of the Storm King's Thunder – Sea of Moving Ice expansion, which is intended for high-level players. Neverwinter is free to play and quite fairly monetized, so don't miss out on the adventure!
Join the Windows Central Neverwinter Guild
Guilds are a huge part of the Neverwinter social experience, providing a valuable source of players with which to team up and chat. All guilds allow access to the Guild Stronghold, a base of operations from which members can access their mail, banks, and more. And high level guilds offer unique benefits such as access to exclusive items and Boons (massive stat boosts).
Naturally Windows Central has an established Neverwinter Xbox One guild, and we'd love for you to join! We prefer players to be level 60 or higher , but anyone above level 45 is welcome. You must be an active player (playing multiple times per week), participate in Guild Chat, and donate regularly to the Guild Coffer (which helps us level up the guild and build new structures).
To join, send EastX a message on Xbox Live with your character's name, class, and level. Be sure to leave your old guild if you're in one. And see these resources:
- How to join a Neverwinter Guild
- Windows Central Neverwinter Guild Forum thread
- Neverwinter Chat Guide
- Neverwinter Leveling Guide
We look forward to questing with you! Remember, Neverwinter is free (with in-app purchases) so that anyone can experience this massive social role-playing adventure.
We streamed Neverwinter for ~98 minutes tonight. During that time, we gave out a total of 23 Neverwinter premium item codes:
- 13 Skeletal Dog Companions for Xbox One (Redeem through the Arc app for Xbox One)
- 10 Miniature Giant Space Hamster companions for PlayStation 4 (North American accounts only)
See the contest winners at the end of this story.
How to watch Beam livestreams
We're now streaming on Beam, Microsoft's interactive livestreaming platform. It provides some welcome improvements over Twitch, such as a cleaner website layout, built-in stream interactivity, and extremely low latency.
You can follow our channel at Beam.pro/WindowsCentral. From there, you'll be able to watch the stream and participate in chat directly from any web browser, including the Xbox One and Windows Phone browsers.
To receive email notifications when our Beam streams go live:
- First, follow our channel.
- Now select your profile from the top-right corner of the screen.
- Pick the Account option near the bottom of the menu.
- Go to the Notifications tab.
- Make sure Send me important email updates on the Beam platform is enabled. This option is labeled deceptively, but it's required for all forms of email notifications.
- Click or tap the Email box next to our channel name until a check appears. That's it!
- We highly recommend that you set a recurring alarm on your phone. Our weekend stream always starts at the same time (9pm Eastern/6pm Pacific), so the phone reminder can be very helpful.
Beam does not offer Xbox One or Windows Phone apps yet, so watching from the browser is the only option on Microsoft platforms. But Beam does offer apps on Android and iOS. Yes, that's a strange inequity. Native Xbox and Windows 10 support is coming though, so stick with us!
Want to know what's next for Windows Central's weekend Beam programming? We stream a different game every Saturday (and sometimes Sunday). The stream always starts at the same time: 9pm Eastern (8pm Central, 6pm Pacific, 2am GMT). Over the next few weeks, we'll be streaming the following (schedule not finalized):
- February 18: Shantae: Half-Genie Hero from WayForward. We'll play this gorgeous 2.5d platformer and give out copies for Steam and PlayStation, plus Xbox gift cards!
- February 25: Sniper Elite 4 . Check out the latest in Rebellion's renowned series of World War II sniping simulations, and win a copy for Xbox One!
We hope you'll tune in as often as you can! Set a recurring alarm on your phone so you'll always know when it's time for the stream to start.
These viewers are ready to conquer some dungeons and dragons, in that order!
Tonight's prizes provided by Perfect World Entertainment. Thanks also to our stream moderators for keeping the peace and giving away the prizes!