The VLC team have finally released the Windows 8.1 update for their app, which should now be available through the Windows Store. Version 0.1.0 marks the second major release of the popular media suite, but remains in active beta. While the team behind the app are very much still working on new features and squashing known bugs, it's a far more stable experience compared to previous versions.
Here's a list of changes bundled in the 0.1.0 release:
- Now using libVLC 2.2.0 core
- Redesigned interface
- Substantial performance improvements
- Use of Winsock for networking instead of WinRTsock
- Implemented Windows 8.1 widgets support
- moved interface code to Universal to prepare Windows Phone 8.1 port
The team notes that while this release remains x86-only, they have made notable advances on the ARM port, which will please those with Windows RT tablets. There's still no release date for the Windows Phone port.