A fairly hefty patch is set to hit Halo Wars 2 today, bringing a ton of little fixes and tweaks. While there's not individual huge change, the lengthy patch notes detail quite a few UI changes, balance tweaks and more.
Here's a look at all of what's new and changed in the June 28 patch for Halo Wars 2, from Halo Waypoint:
- Improved selection box to allow for easier selection of units when on the fringe of the unit
- Selected unit sub-selection now more responsive when using Right Trigger and Y button to cycle through the selection
- Fog of war made more readable
- Now lines up more closely with logical sight ranges
- The visual transition when units emerge from the fog of war is much quicker
- Improvements to camera scroll speed and feel when playing with a controller – regular scroll is noticeably more responsive, and fast scroll (holding LB) gives a much larger speed boost
- Changing the Scroll Speed settings in options also has a much greater effect than before, resulting in more control over how scroll speed to feels
- Speed can be reduced to previous levels by adjusting the Scroll Speed setting in the Options menu
- Hid player gamertag and rank in the map load screen
- AI is no longer able to place rally flags in places players are not allowed to place
- AI no longer knows when the player is beginning to target them with a leader power before they use it
- Units won't be aggroed by Suicide Grunts and won't automatically move towards them to engage (they will stand their ground instead)
- Supply Pad upgrade time reduced from 25 to 18s Shield Generator stacking reduced per generator from 50% efficiency to 20%
- Special abilities (Hijack, Slam, Phoenix Missile, Brute Warlord's Hammer Shockwave, etc.) now gain the benefit from generic damage upgrades
- Fixed an issue where the Hunter Captain would not be able to attack if its taunt ability was interrupted
- Hunter Captain no longer receives as much healing from Combat Repair
- Hunter Captain health lowered
- Adjusted Locust's behavior when targeting units in the fog of war
- Upgrade 3 for Vehicle, Air, and Infantry apply the correct amount of health to appropriate units
- Skitterer health from Vehicle Upgrade lowered at all levels
- Skitterer can no longer become useless if the unit it is going to pair with dies before pairing is complete
- Kodiaks should no longer fail to target an enemy on the other side of a cliff or hill if they have line of sight
- Cutter's Jerome Hero unit will no longer get stuck in a vehicle if upgraded while in a vehicle
- Spartans no longer become unresponsive when slamming a teleport pad
- Spartans no longer damage the unit they're hijacking Honor guard will now have more success when attempting to slay a fleeing unit
- Units grouped with engineers should now be able to use their Y ability when the group is selected
- Snipers can now be commanded to attack units in garrisons without being grouped with other units who could
- Units will now auto attack garrisoned units as they walk past
- Scorpions now have better accuracy when attacking garrisoned units
- Scorpion can no longer fire two canister shots Chopper can no longer trigger ram animation when selecting an air unit
- Condors will no longer waste their Y ability when targeting air units
- Decimus can now use Y ability on buildings Hornets no longer fail to do damage after firing at a target for a prolonged time
- Blisterbacks shouldn't be deployed under the surface of the map anymore
- Veteran Blisterbacks can once again be healed to full
- Johnson's heal beacon size and effect now correctly match
- Johnson can no longer move to cancel his animation and fire additional smart missiles
- Skitterers now correctly apply full damage from focus beam upgrade
- Colony's Living Barrier benefits from base Fortify upgrades
- Shipmaster's Grunt squad leaders are now rightfully Sangheili instead of Jiralhanae, and now can be upgraded to cloak instead of having Shrapnel Mines
- Normalized damage of hijacked vehicles regardless of who made the vehicle
- Kinsano's Cyclops Hero unit selection circle should now be more visible when not hovering over it
- Decimus and Warlord will no longer try to pull units that are already close to them
- Warlord no longer resets his attack animation when selecting a unit to attack
- ODST charges will now explode when placed on top of or next to buildings in side plots
- ODSTs can no longer throw more than 1 charge at a time
- ODSTs can't attempt to throw their demo charge at air units
- Atriox Fortifications slightly reduced in effectiveness at level 1, and greatly reduced at level 2, and is specifically less beneficial to shield generators
- Cost reduction on bases, stronghold upgrade, turrets and shield generators changed reduced to 15% per level.
- Fortifications-altered cost of Fortify upgrades rounded to nearest 5.
- Upgrade speed buff on stronghold upgrade and turret upgrades reduced to 15% per level.
- Vehicle Symbiotes power can now target turrets
- Buffed Vehicle Symbiotes to now apply correct armor and health
- Scorch Mines can no longer blow each other up on deployment
- Shipmaster's Displacement can now affect Protector Sentinels
- Restoration Drones can now target turrets
- Scatter Bomb now more correctly aligns with its targeting reticle
- Vortex Lightning now damages and debuffs units in garrisons
- Garrisoned units no longer heal faster from leader powers than ungarrisoned units
- Mech Overcharge and Combat Salvage can now be invoked regardless of whether the reticle is in the fog of war or not
- Mass Cloaking now removes units from the minimap in Blitz mode
- Reavers will no longer continue to shoot when hit with EMP Mac Blast while stunned
- Vehicles stolen by Ghost in the Machine are no longer visible in the Fog of War
- Ghost in the Machine can no longer permanently increase Isabel's population cap by using it on units that are teleported
- EMP Mac Blast now more correctly matches the targeting reticle
- Graphical settings now defaults to 'Low' when using an integrated GPU
- Fixed an issue with AMD Radeon R9 390 GPU that could cause some graphical corruption in campaign
- Fixed an issue where the "Graphics Driver out of Date!" message could refer to an incorrect driver version in some cases
- Idling in the main menu for extended time should no longer permanently disconnect the player from services for that session
- Players should no longer be able to remove the command point cap earned in a mission by loading a save
- Loading a save and finishing a previously completed mission should no longer add the complete mission time to time played
- Fixed a desync that could happen in 3v3 Strongholds
- Fixed a crash that could occur when loading saved games
- Multi-GPU support is now enabled on Windows 10
- Up to two GPUs are supported
- This implementation of Multi GPU synchronizes data between the two GPUs. Running at 4K resolution and higher-quality graphics options may exceed the bandwidth available to synchronize the cards, which may cause in-game performance issues.
- Updating to the Creators Update of Windows 10 is strongly recommended
- Make sure you're on the latest graphics driver
- Fixed graphical corruption that could appear near wraiths in campaign
- Nightingale's smoke screen no longer disappears when camera moves view off of it and back
- Colossus' legs face the right way when targeting enemies now
- Vulture's yellow warning light is now attached to the craft when firing its missile
- Mantis chaingun effects have been cleaned up
- Decimus' Siphon no longer leaves green effects on the units
- Added some audio to the Cyclops death animation
- All leaders were missing the voice over callout when the player's base was destroyed
- Fixed Chopper's ramming audio loop
- Corrected explosion of Lotus Mines to play the appropriate sound effect
- Anders sentinels will no longer play Grunt audio upon death
- Johnson's EMP should no longer cause audio to stutter
Last, but not Least:
- Players affected by earlier issues with loss of progress will have their progress restored, based on their halowaypoint.com Service Record
Dan Thorp-Lancaster is the Editor in Chief for Windows Central. He began working with Windows Central as a news writer in 2014 and is obsessed with tech of all sorts. You can follow Dan on Twitter @DthorpL and Instagram @heyitsdtl. Got a hot tip? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
I'm not playing this game myself, but do you guys know how large of an active user base this game has? Are we talking millions of players monthly?
likely nobody on PC but I always find some guys on Xbox. Still love it.
I dont own an xbox, so it would be for the PC. I also live in Norway, and i suppose most people play from US. It is probably as dead as it can be here in northern Europe on PC.
I mean, very few games have millions of active monthly users, but I've never had an issue finding a match. That said, this game is worth the price for the campaign alone. It's the best console RTS game ever made, I say.
Lots of people playing.
Never see problem to find
Hunter Captain is no longer OP as ****. Great.
The game is dead on PC, Thanks a lot Microsoft for not making it cross-play. So now having to wait for a Steam release to re-buy it and actually have people to play with.
That would be a poor move! I don't want to repay for it either give it for free to use PC users or enable cross play
I don't get why it isn't cross play...put in an option to disable it for those who are bothered. Most normal people would just prefer to have a bigger user base
Exactly this^^ I don't get it either; its as if Microsoft wanted the Windows Store version to fail. I wonder how many people who were exited about the game and bought it will ever give Microsofts store a shot again after they just discovered it was a waste of money when noone buy games from the WinStore and without cross play Microsoft can't leverage its Xbox user base against that of Steam and other PC platforms like GOG.
Yeah its not great to re-buy; but this was the last straw, never buying anything from MS store again; should have learned my lesson when I had to re-buy AOE3 and bunch of others on Steam when GFWL shut down; now another great RTS crippled by Microsofts stupid store. But if a lot of people play it when it releases on Steam, then would be worth it, one last re-buy over Microsoft BS. Or it never releases on Steam just confirming for all PC gamers that Microsoft and Phil Spencer was full of bullshit when they said Microsoft is re-comiting to PC gaming.
It doesn't make sense that they'd make games like Gears of War 4 cross-play but wouldn't for games like Halo Wars: DE and Halo Wars 2. Is it really that hard to make it cross-play and then give the option to both sides to matchmake by input type, for those worried about competitive disadvantages? Heck, even if they disabled keyboard and mouse entirely during cross-play so that PC gamers could only do so if they used a controller, even that would be better than nothing. It's also odd they still haven't brought keyboard and mouse support to Xbox One.
Indeed, as you said even limiting PC gamers to controller on crossplay would be better then nothing as you would at least have people to play with. And don't even get me started on the fact that the Xbox still does not have kb/m support, like WTF Microsoft. On the one hand you want some competition for Steam, but on the other it just seems Microsoft does not know what they are doing, and its hard to justify spending any more money on Win10 Store games when the multiplayer is dead; while the Halo Wars 1 on Steam has 500 active players at any one time; not great either but for a console designed RTS not bad.
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.