What you need to know
- Another weekly update is now out for the Microsoft Edge Dev channel.
- In contrast to other recent updates, this one brings more user-facing tweaks alongside the usual batch of bug fixes.
- The update pushes the Dev channel up to version 188.8.131.52.
Microsoft is continuing its weekly cadence of updates for the Microsoft Edge Dev channel, bringing another batch of improvements and fixes for testers to check out. This week, the focus is on improving several elements of the UI (opens in new tab), along with the usual slew of bug fixes across the board.
One of the biggest changes in this release is the addition of a page in the Settings menu to pick your preferred "New Tab Page" layout. Other tweaks include the ability to select more than one tab at once, a dark theme in the "Send Feedback" dialog, and more. Here's a full look at everything that's new and fixed in the latest Edge Dev channel release.
- Added a page in Settings to choose your desired New Tab Page layout.
- Added an option in the Help and Feedback menu to report an unsafe website.
- Multiple tabs can now be selected using the keyboard's ctrl and space keys.
- Added dark theme to the Send Feedback dialog.
- Added a separator between the active tab and the rest of the tabs when the color of the tab band makes it difficult to tell the difference between the active tab and the rest of the tabs.
- Updated the color of windows when they're inactive.
- Fixed an issue where opening Settings as a guest crashes the browser.
- Fixed an issue where opening DevTools in InPrivate sometimes crashes the browser.
- Fixed an issue where the loading spinner and the tab icon existed at the same time.
- Fixed a crash when using Read Aloud.
- Fixed an issue where certain webpages with videos would crash.
- Fixed an issue where favorites sometimes get deleted if the first run experience is interrupted.
- Fixed some strings that weren't translated.
- Fixed an issue where installed websites can't be uninstalled from Windows Settings.
- Fixed an issue where DevTools extensions weren't appearing in the list of DevTools extensions.
- Fixed an issue where sync sometimes wouldn't work when using a VPN.
- Fixed an issue where files shown on the downloads page used a generic icon instead of the file's own icon.
- Fixed an issue where clicking the Restart App button when installing an update doesn't open the browser again.
- Fixed an issue where context menus sometimes aren't shown.
- Fixed an issue where the text for the keyboard shortcut to open Downloads is different depending on where it is seen.
- Fixed an issue where the prompt to enter keychain credentials is unexpectedly seen after installing a new build.
The Edge Dev channel is the second-most frequently updated testing branch for the new Edge built on Chromium. The browser is also available through a Canary channel, which sees updates daily. Microsoft also plans to open up a Beta channel in the future, which will see updates every six weeks.
If you want to give the new Edge a shot before its full release, you can download the Dev or Canary channel releases at Microsoft's Edge Insider site now.
Cheap PC accessories we love
Take a gander at these awesome PC accessories, all of which will enhance your Windows experience.
Anker 4 port USB 3.0 hub (opens in new tab) ($10 at Amazon)
Whether on a desktop or laptop PC, you always need more ports to connect things to. This hub gives you an additional four USB 3.0 Type A ports.
Ikea Fixa Cable Management System (opens in new tab) ($11 at Amazon)
This IKEA cable management kit is your ticket to a clean setup. It's simple and functional.
NZXT Puck (opens in new tab) ($20 at Amazon)
This clever little accessory has powerful magnets on the rear to make it stick to any of the metal panels on your PC case or anything else. It's great for hanging accessories like headsets.
Windows Central Newsletter
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.