The popular business-based messaging service Slack continues to improve its recently launched Windows Phone beta app. A new version is available to download from the Windows Phone Store, which adds auto-complete for user mentions, channel mentions and emoji, among other additions and improvements.
The official Slack website has posted a detailed change log for the updated app, which has the version number of 2015.1002.0.0:
- Fixed an issue where users were not prompted to join an existing team if they didn't have an account yet
- Fixed an issue where activating two factor authentication made signing back in difficult
- Fixed an issue where new messages from closed direct messages might not be added to the channel list properly
- Fixed an issue where attachments did not always display action links
- Fixed more things
- Minor UI enhancements
- Auto-complete for @ user mentions, channel mentions and emoji
- Added copy message text option to message context menu (shows dialog where you can directly select text).
In case you're wondering why it works this way: 1) Windows Phone doesn't let us directly add text to the clipboard and 2) becuase of how messages are displayed with formatting, direct text selection is not possible. The popup displays unformatted text which can be directly selected & copied.
- Messages cannot be sent while disconected. In the future we plan to have better handling for queueing messages sent, but for now the send button should be disabled when there isn't a connection available.
Note: A few people have seen messages get sent multiple times if there are connectivity issues.
- Performance improvements - it can always be better
- Slash commands with auto-complete
- Animated gifs - We love them, but unfortunately support is lacking in the Windows Phone image control. We're working on a solution.
- Adding reactions & a fancy emoji picker
- Starring and viewing starred items
- Commenting on files
- Mulit-team support
- Offline support
- Channel Info pane
- More integration with Windows Phone specific features
Let us know what you think about how the Slack open beta test for Windows Phone is doing in the comments!
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Minecraft Dungeons: 10 things that we'd love to see improved
Minecraft Dungeons is a great game, but as we max out the game and hit full completion, there are a few things we think could easily be improved. Here are ten of them.
How Microsoft Teams changed my football team during the pandemic
The global health crisis caused my football team's practices and season to be canceled. To continue coaching, we switched to virtual classroom sessions using Microsoft Teams.
Twitter PWA picks up a simple tweet scheduler in latest update
Twitter's PWA is now showing a tweet scheduler, which was previously only in testing for some users. The feature has long been a part of TweetDeck, but it is now available to anyone using twitter.com or the Twitter progressive web apps, including from the Microsoft Store.
Make the most of your Surface Pen and Slim Pen with these awesome apps
To really maximize the ability of the Surface Pen and Slim Pen, there are some essential apps you should check out. We've rounded up the best right here for a variety of purposes.