If cooking isn’t one of your strengths, it’s handy to have cookbooks and recipes around. Whether you’re looking for weekday inspiration, trying to cook the perfect steak or attempting your own homemade ice cream, check out the new BBC Good Food app for Windows Phone 8.
When you open the application, you are presented with six cookbooks. BBC Good Food only provides one cookbook for free, while the rest cost $1.49 each. The free Classic recipe collection includes 20 of their favorite recipes, like beef & beer pie, summer vegetable curry, and chocolate & raspberry pots. It also includes a basic glossary of ingredients and techniques to get you started.
Here are the rest of the cookbooks available for purchase:
- Healthy - 170+ recipes including Salmon & ginger fish cakes, Thai beef stir-fry and Indian butternut squash curry
- Quick - 170+ recipes including Quick lamb biryani, Parmesan spring chicken and easy puds, and White chocolate & berry pudding.
- One-pot - 170 recipes including Sausage casserole with garlic toasts to One-pot mushroom & potato curry, Prosciutto & pesto fish gratin
- Cake - 170 recipes including Lemon drizzle cake, Best-ever brownies and Carrot cake with cinnamon frosting
- Seasonal - 170+ recipes including Asparagus cream pasta, Peppered chicken with watercress and Slow-cooked pork & red cabbage
The presentation of the app looks great with pleasing combinations of text, color, and images. Clicking on a recipe displays one big header photo, but the actual recipe covers up the image when you scroll down to read. The effect looks really good. We also like the labels being used. For example, you can find out right away whether certain recipes are easy, vegetarian-friendly, or freezable.
BBC Good Food is a free download at the Windows Phone Store. Check it out and let us know if it inspires you to cook!
Thanks for the tip, Al!