Barcelona, Spain – This morning, Microsoft has unveiled the Lumia 640, the latest budget-friendly Windows Phone in the Lumia lineup.
The Lumia 640 builds off of the strengths of the Lumia 635 but brings none of the drawbacks. With improved hardware and a larger, 720P display, the Lumia 640's dual-SIM LTE design should open Windows Phone to a whole new market.
Additionally, Microsoft is tossing in a one-year subscription to Office 365 Personal, which includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and OneNote on the Lumia as well as on one PC or Mac and one tablet. The subscription comes with 1TB of OneDrive storage and 60 free minutes of Skype Unlimited Worldwide calling per month.
Pricing of the dual-SIM LTE version of the Lumia 640 is expected to be around $180 (159 euros) while the dual-SIM 3G should retail for $155 (139 euros) both starting in April.
Lumia 640 Specifications
- Windows Phone 8.1 with Lumia Denim
- Windows 10 Ready
- Colors: Glossy cyan, orange and white, as well as matte black
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 (MSM8926), 1.2 GHz quad-core processor
- 5" HD (1280x720, 16:9) IPS LCD, 294 PPI, Glance screen, Corning Gorilla Glass 3, Sunlight readability enhancements
- 1GB RAM
- 8 GB internal mass memory + up to 128 GB Micro SD & 30GB free OneDrive cloud storage
- Rear camera: 8 MP AF (3280x2464), f/2.2, 28 mm, 1080p @ 30 fps video (continuous autofocus), Flash: LED, Lumia Camera 5.0 (with Dynamic Flash, HDR)
- Front camera: HD 1 MP wide angle, f/2.4, 720p video
- Connectivity: BT 4.0, microUSB2.0, Micro SIM, A-GPS+GLONASS, BeiDou, DLNA, Screen cloning with Miracast, WLAN 802.11 b/g/n/
- Sensors: Accelerometer, Magnetometer, Proximity, Ambient Light Sensor
- Battery: 2500 mAh (BV-T5C) removable battery
- Weight: 145 g
- Size: 141.3 x 72.2 x 8.85 mm
Overall, the Lumia 640 with its less than $200 price point looks like an enormous improvement over the Lumia 630 and Lumia 635.
Standby for more photos and our hands-on video of the Lumia 640, live from Barcelona!