It's the second Tuesday of June and Microsoft is back at it with firmware updates for the Surface Pro 2 and Surface 2 tablets, bringing some performance improvements and bug fixes to both slates. Owners of either tablets can download the updates through the Windows update menu, and doing so will give you improved battery life and sleep performance with the Power Cover among other improvements. Hit the break to see what has changed.
Of note, there are no updates this time around for the original Surface RT and the Surface Pro. The changes for the Surface Pro 2 and Surface 2 are listed as "System Firmware Update - 06/10/2014."
Here is what has changed for Microsoft's newer tablets:
Surface Pro 2 Update: Release notes
- Surface Pro UEFI (v2.4.950.0) and Surface Pro Embedded Controller Firmware (v126.96.36.199) updates enhance system stability with microSD products, improves compatibility with Power Cover, and increases the reliability of sleep state transitions. Surface Pro UEFI update also provides support for PXE boot with the new Surface Ethernet Adapter.
- Surface Pro System Aggregator Firmware (v2.4.350.0) update improves sleep state transitions when a Surface Cover is attached.
- Surface Accessory Device (v2.0.287.0) update improves sleep state transitions when a Surface Cover is attached.
- Surface Power Cover Firmware Update (v2.0.288.0) improves reliability when the Power Cover is attached to Surface and folded behind Surface.
- HD Graphics Family (v10.18.10.3496) update improves Miracast wireless display experience and enhances display stability.
Surface 2 Update: Release notes
- Surface 2 UEFI (v4.21.500.0) update enhances overall system stability, including boot and reboot scenarios, compatibility with Surface Power Cover, and increased battery life when Surface 2 is not in use.
- System Aggregator Firmware (v1.0.50500.0) update enhances the charging behavior of the Power Cover.
- Surface Power Cover Firmware Update (v2.0.595.0) update improves battery life when using the Power Cover with Surface 2.
- Surface Platform Power Driver (v2.0.557.0) update improves battery life when used with the Surface Power Cover.
- Audio Driver Set (v 188.8.131.5219) and Display Driver Set (v 184.108.40.20618). This update provides enhanced support for external displays, improves the Miracast experience, and enhances the overall system stability while reducing power consumption in many scenarios.
- Surface Accessory Device (v2.0.583.0) update enhances the experience when using a Surface Cover.
In addition to the updates listed above, an additional update for Surface 2 4G LTE is listed below:
- Wireless Network Controller (v14.62.28061.10179) and Bluetooth (v14.62.28061.10179) update simplifies and improves tethering for Surface 2 4G LTE.
If you've applied any of these updates to your Surface 2 or Surface Pro 2, let us know if any of the issues have been corrected or if you have encountered new issues.