Chalkboard for Windows Phone is just what you would think, a chalkboard app. It is a blank slate well suited for doodling, a game of tic-tac-toe or jotting down math problems. You would use the chalkboard app just as you would a regular chalkboard, just with less dust.
Chalkboard has eight chalk colors, three backgrounds, and the ability to zoom in/out for the more detailed drawings. You can also load up to six images to doodle on as well. Chalkboard comes across as an appealing Windows Phone 8 app for the times you feel the need for a little doodle time or need an easy way to play a friendly game of tic-tac-toe with your friends.
Chalkboard Green, Asphalt and Black Backgrounds
Chalkboard’s layout is straightforward, launching directly to the board. At the top center of the screen you will find a semi-circle that when tapped will pull-down a menu wheel. When you are ready to hide the menu wheel, just tap the circle.
From the menu wheel, you have options that include:
- Document management: Save a drawing, open a file, open an image, delete a drawing, etc.
- Drawing Tools: Eraser, drawing style (wide, pen point), ruler, compass.
- Color options: Eight colors ranging from white to purple to green.
- Chalk Size: Small, medium, large, and extra-large.
- Wide Marks: Three options for drawing wide marks with the chalk (reminds me of holding a piece of chalk length-wise against the board).
- App Settings: Help Section, background options (green, black and asphalt), undo/redo buttons, delete (clear the screen) button and a rate/share the app button.
Chalkboard Photo Background
Rendering is not too bad with Chalkboard but if you have large fingers, drawing fine lines can be a little challenging. The app is well suited for a stylus or drawing pen though. Chalkboard has a nice collection of drawing tools and in the right hands, the Windows Phone 8 app is capable of creating some impressive drawings.
Chalkboard is a free app, available for Windows Phone 8 and can be found here in the Windows Phone Store.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
George is the Reviews Editor at Windows Central, concentrating on Windows 10 PC and Mobile apps. He's been a supporter of the platform since the days of Windows CE and uses his current Windows 10 Mobile phone daily to keep up with life and enjoy a game during down time.