Chronos is one of our top third-party calendar apps for Windows Phone, which is why we are excited to see Chronos Calendar + being released. The original Chronos has an outstanding 4.4 (out of 5) rating on the Store to set precedent. The all new Chronos Calendar + has been rewritten from the ground up specifically for Windows Phone 8.1 devices, giving a boost in performance and fluidity.
Chronos Calendar + also supports the new WinRT/universal app mode, meaning you should expect an app for your Surface in the future.
That is the good news; the bad news is that this is not an update, meaning you will have to fork over some money if you want the all new build. However, between its usefulness, design, options and potential to be a universal app, we think it is worth it.
Chronos Calendar + features
- Full read/write sync with all your connected accounts.
- Supports all screen resolutions.
- Live tile customization.
- Calendar appearance customization.
- Built-in holidays and other various special days for over 50 countries.
- Many different calendar views.
- Smart add feature. An attempt to make the creation of events a little faster now that it isn't possible to save directly to the phone calendar database due to restrictions in the operating system. You can turn it off if you don't like it of course.
- Language support for many countries.
- More tile themes.
- New 2-dimensional way for selecting tile and appearance themes.
- More performance improvements on the tile updater.
If you have never tried Chronos, you should give the app a shot with a free trial. The UI, fonts, and customization options are enough to make most people happy. Personally, we are really digging the new 'add appointment' function, which has a beautiful drop down window for quick adds.
Overall, Chronos is worthy of a download, especially if you rely on and need a more powerful calendar experience. You won't hear us gush much about calendar apps, but Chronos is the exception.
- Download Chronos Calendar + for Windows Phone 8.1 ($1.99, Free Trial)
Thanks, John M., and Peter N., for the tips!
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Xbox basically just buried Google Stadia with latest Project xCloud update
Heating up, the streaming wars are. Today, a slew of Project xCloud additions threaten to rip Google Stadia of its, well, reason to exist.
Don't sleep on the indie games available with Xbox Game Pass for PC
There are a lot of tasty blockbuster games available with the Xbox Game Pass for PC, but the lesser-known indie games are where some of the real value lies.
Satya Nadella has sights firmly set on Microsoft's cloud future
At a media event last week, Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella laid out the case for Microsoft's focus on Azure and the cloud going forward. While Nadella was quick to point out that doesn't mean Windows, Android, and iOS aren't important, he's firmly focused on bringing in the next 46 billion internet-connected devices.
Make the most of your Surface Pen and Slim Pen with these awesome apps
To really maximize the ability of the Surface Pen and Slim Pen, there are some essential apps you should check out. We've rounded up the best right here for a variety of purposes.