Today's 2.2.0 Destiny update introduces new PVE and PVP challenges, a brand new quest chain and an increased 'Light' level cap. The patch is rolling out between 10 am and 12 pm PST, and clocks in at 1736 MB on Xbox One, and 793 MB on Xbox 360.
Some of the update's highlights include:
- 'Challenge of the Elders' is a brand new level 41 and 42 version of the Prison of Elders PVE arena. Challenge of the Elders adds four new bosses and rewards players with gear that'll take them to the new Light level cap of 335.
- Players can obtain Light level 335 in the Challenge of the Elders, The King's Fall raid hard mode (after an additional upcoming patch), Iron Banner, Trials of Osiris and The Court of Oryx.
- Players competing in the Challenge of the Elders will have their scores tracked over the course of three rounds. Depending on how well you do, you could win a guaranteed high-level weapon or armor piece.
- Challenge of the Elders features a total of 16 unique encounters, across three waves of battles on a weekly reset timer.
- The update adds a new PVE Strike called Blighted Chalice, which is the culmination of an all-new quest chain.
- The Winter's Run Strike has been reworked with a Taken theme (based on The Taken King expansion) and has been reintroduced to the Heroic playlist.
- Patch 2.2.0 adds two new armor sets and three variants of older sets.
- Some fan-favorite Year One weapons and armor are being upgraded to current gear stat levels.
- You can now disable the HUD interfaces.
- Revive times in PVP will increase, sniper rifles have been tweaked to prevent quick-scoping and limit their use in mid and short-range combat. Hand cannons ammo capacity has been increased, and fusion rifles have increased stability. Overshields have also been weakened.
- Patch 2.2.0 also includes an all-new customization option called Chroma, which allows you to add blue, white, red or yellow light themes to armor.
Bungie is marching ahead with Destiny, reportedly planning a major expansion launch for 2016, and a full-blown sequel for 2017. The studio has suffered some high-profile developer departures lately but also managed to poach Halo 4 and Mass Effect Andromeda writer Christopher Schlerf earlier this year.
Are you still defending the Solar System in Destiny? Let us know below.
Jez Corden is a Senior Editor for Windows Central, focusing primarily on all things Xbox and gaming. Jez is known for breaking exclusive news and analysis as relates to the Microsoft ecosystem while being powered by caffeine. Follow on Twitter @JezCorden and listen to his Xbox Two podcast, all about, you guessed it, Xbox!
They put way too much emphasis on PvP post release and it's just not that fun to me.
Haven't played in ages. I guess I'll wander back in to see what's up. Do enjoy Destiny, the game just got a little stale for me.
Feel the same way.
Playing with friends was what made destiny. I remember grabbing 5 friends and all raiding together. That was the best experience unlike any other game I've played. Hopefully friends will come back with update! Looking forward to PoE Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
The Chroma lighting reminds me of dead space armor. I approve.
Oh yeah, didn't even notice that. Man, we need a Dead Space 4 that returns to horror.
I've had Destiny since launch but I've never completed a single Raid, none of my friends play so I've only ever joined a fireteam of randoms. I should just find a sherpa, but I fired up the game recently for the first time in months and any skill I may have had was well and truly gone.
Still no matchmaking for the big raids and I'm not going to a 3rd party website to organize a group. So I still haven't done any of those. The game is good as long as you're still within the content. But as soon as you "finish" it there isn't much left. They should follow Diablo's lead and let us replay the story on increasingly harder settings. It gets boring doing the same small bits over and over again.
If xbox had mouse and keyboard support now or this was on PC I would still be playing this. Bring it to PC already!!!!!!!!!!
Hmm. Play Division update tonight or go back to Destiny (which I played everyday till division came out). Quantum Break is also pretty decent. #Geekproblems
Just tried the Destiny update. It's underwhelming. They seem to think glowing armor is a big deal.
Haven't been doing my Guardian duties I may return at some point just bugs me how Bungie is loyal to Sony and gets Exclusives for a whole year. So yeah I've been defending New York as a Division Agent instead. Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.