For those who don't know, Gears of War takes place on the fictional world of Sera, an Earth-like human colony in another star system. The first Gears of War takes place 14 years after 'emergence day' - a time when a civilization of subterranean reptilian-humanoids burst from beneath the ground, ravaging Sera's people and cities.
Gears of War is set in the chaos and ruins of humanity's war with the Locust. The original combines heart-pumping third-person action with a dark blend of horror elements. Gears of War: Ultimate Edition has fully remastered the game, bringing a vast range of improvements.
From the Gears of War: Ultimate Edition website:
- Remastered for Dolby 7.1 Surround
- 90 mins of new campaign content from the original PC game
- New Xbox Live achievements (1,250 Gamerscore)
- Concept art gallery and unlockable comics
- Modernized Multiplayer featuring: 60 frames per second, dedicated servers, skill-based matchmaking.
- New game types - Team Deathmatch, King of the Hill (Gears of War 3 style), and new 2v2 Gnasher Execution
- Total of 19 maps, including all DLC and PC-exclusive maps
- 17 unlockable Gears of War 3 characters for Multiplayer progression
- More Match customization including Actives, Respawn Time, Self-revive and Weapon Respawn
- Modernized gameplay with smoother movement and updated controls:
- Alternate Controls and all new Tournament Controls
- All controls tuned for Xbox One
- Adding the Gears of War 3 features you love: Enemy Spotting, Multiplayer Tac-Com, Improved sensitivity customization
The game also picks up resolution and frame rate bumps on Xbox One, in addition to re-made cut-scenes and tons of graphical improvements. To celebrate, we're streaming parts of the first mission on Twitch ahead of our full review.
Twitch Stream - 11.30pm GMT / 4.30pm PST / 7.30pm EST
Join us on Windows Central's official Twitch at the above times to check out parts of the first chapter from Gears of War Ultimate Edition.
Gears of War: Ultimate Edition launches in full on August 250th, 2015 exclusively on Xbox One. People who play the game between then and December 31st, 2015 will receive digital codes for Gears of War 2, 3, and Gears of War Judgement for Xbox 360 with backwards compatibility on Xbox One. Considering the low price of Gears of War: Ultimate Edition, it joins Rare Replay as another killer Xbox One bargain.
- Pre-order Gears of War Ultimate Edition for Xbox One on Amazon UK (opens in new tab)
- Pre-order Gears of War Ultimate Edition for Xbox One on Amazon US (opens in new tab)
- Pre-order Gears of War Ultimate Edition for Xbox One on the Xbox Store (opens in new tab)
Jez Corden is the Managing Editor for Windows Central, focusing primarily on all things Xbox and gaming. Jez is known for breaking exclusive news and analysis as relates to the Microsoft ecosystem while being powered by caffeine. Follow on Twitter @JezCorden and listen to his Xbox Two podcast, all about, you guessed it, Xbox!
Think I may join you on stream. Need a partner to run through story on Insane ;) Gamer tag = I Ehrgeiz I If anyone wants to play this or Halo sometime hit me up.
I got halo as well...
I've never played Gears of War before, save for the recent beta on Xbox One. I didn't really like the beta, though, probaby because I had never played Gears of War before and the beta did a terrible job of explaining how to play it. That said, I had never really played Halo before Halo MCC either, and now I think it's one of the best sci-fi games I've ever played. So, perhaps I should give Gears of War a shot too.
Single player Gears of War is much different from multiplayer. I really likesingle player.
Not really digging the new trailer. The original one was way better. It's music matched the video. This one has fast paced action and the music doesn't match. I made a more upbeat version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-DhfOSQfB0
250th. Ha! There are so many days in August.
Can you play multiplayer campaign?
Where is eastx??
Enjoyed being able to watch a stream at a reasonable time for UK residents. The game itself looked awesome even through the stream, cannot wait!
I can't believe this game is only £28 brand new for Xbox One! So cheap, makes a change. All games should be around that price, not £55!
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.