For those who don't know, Gears of War takes place on the fictional world of Sera, an Earth-like human colony in another star system. The first Gears of War takes place 14 years after 'emergence day' - a time when a civilization of subterranean reptilian-humanoids burst from beneath the ground, ravaging Sera's people and cities.
Gears of War is set in the chaos and ruins of humanity's war with the Locust. The original combines heart-pumping third-person action with a dark blend of horror elements. Gears of War: Ultimate Edition has fully remastered the game, bringing a vast range of improvements.
From the Gears of War: Ultimate Edition website:
- Remastered for Dolby 7.1 Surround
- 90 mins of new campaign content from the original PC game
- New Xbox Live achievements (1,250 Gamerscore)
- Concept art gallery and unlockable comics
- Modernized Multiplayer featuring: 60 frames per second, dedicated servers, skill-based matchmaking.
- New game types - Team Deathmatch, King of the Hill (Gears of War 3 style), and new 2v2 Gnasher Execution
- Total of 19 maps, including all DLC and PC-exclusive maps
- 17 unlockable Gears of War 3 characters for Multiplayer progression
- More Match customization including Actives, Respawn Time, Self-revive and Weapon Respawn
- Modernized gameplay with smoother movement and updated controls:
- Alternate Controls and all new Tournament Controls
- All controls tuned for Xbox One
- Adding the Gears of War 3 features you love: Enemy Spotting, Multiplayer Tac-Com, Improved sensitivity customization
The game also picks up resolution and frame rate bumps on Xbox One, in addition to re-made cut-scenes and tons of graphical improvements. To celebrate, we're streaming parts of the first mission on Twitch ahead of our full review.
Twitch Stream - 11.30pm GMT / 4.30pm PST / 7.30pm EST
Join us on Windows Central's official Twitch at the above times to check out parts of the first chapter from Gears of War Ultimate Edition.
Gears of War: Ultimate Edition launches in full on August 250th, 2015 exclusively on Xbox One. People who play the game between then and December 31st, 2015 will receive digital codes for Gears of War 2, 3, and Gears of War Judgement for Xbox 360 with backwards compatibility on Xbox One. Considering the low price of Gears of War: Ultimate Edition, it joins Rare Replay as another killer Xbox One bargain.
- Pre-order Gears of War Ultimate Edition for Xbox One on Amazon UK
- Pre-order Gears of War Ultimate Edition for Xbox One on Amazon US
- Pre-order Gears of War Ultimate Edition for Xbox One on the Xbox Store
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Twitter PWA picks up a simple tweet scheduler in latest update
Twitter's PWA is now showing a tweet scheduler, which was previously only in testing for some users. The feature has long been a part of TweetDeck, but it is now available to anyone using twitter.com or the Twitter progressive web apps, including from the Microsoft Store.
Best Minecraft Dungeons character builds we've found so far
Minecraft Dungeons is a game all about the loot. As such, we thought we'd share some of the endgame builds we're currently using, that might help you get started with your own creations.
Check out these excellent Windows 10 laptops that come with LTE support
Need a quality Windows 10 laptop that can stay connected while on the go? Check out this roundup of the best devices complete with LTE modem.
Best Xbox-themed Pride Accessories
June is LGBT Pride Month, which means that it's time to show your spirit! Check out these awesome Xbox-themed LGBT Pride accessories.