uBlock Origin is a lightweight ad blocker that consumes fewer system resources than the likes of Adblock Plus. The open-source ad blocker is officially available as an extension for Chromium and Firefox, but a New Zealand-based web developer has ported the extension for Microsoft Edge.
Nik Rolls has forked the project on GitHub, and a working prototype of the extension is now available for download as a .zip file for those on the Edge Preview. Interested in taking a look? Here's how you sideload the extension on Edge:
- Download the .zip file and extract it to a folder.
- Enter about:flags in Edge's address bar, and toggle Enable extension developer features.
- From the Extensions menu, click on the Load extension button and select the folder where you extracted the .zip file.
Here's a list of issues that are yet to be fixed, per Nik:
- Downloads (settings backups, etc). Edge doesn't allow downloads from extensions yet, or I've not found the way. I'm working on it but if it's not supported then I may be blocked.
- Updating lists: unfortunately this is a big one. You currently can't download updates and are stuck with the ones in the current build, which is a very small subset of the full database. This is my top priority to fix.
- Possibly other functionality that I haven't been able to verify yet; this is very experimental!
Edge will disable sideloaded extensions every time you exit the browser, so you'll have to re-enable manually. The extension is still in a pre-release stage, so you're bound to encounter bugs. If you have any questions or suggestions for the developer, shout out in the comments.
Thanks for the extension Nik!
Review: LG gram 17 (2020) is still the biggest, boldest Ultrabook around
LG's gram 17 is still really the only 17-inch Ultrabook option on the market, but luckily for us, it's also awesome. Weighing under three-pounds with MIL-STD-810G ruggedness the gram 17 is basically a 13-inch laptop with a giant screen, but without the increased weight. Here's why it's still one of the coolest laptops around and what's new in the 2020 model.
Check out our video preview of the BEST Xbox games coming this year
There are tons of games coming to Xbox One in 2020 and beyond, and we've rounded up fifteen of the most promising for your perusal.
Coronavirus causes Microsoft to cancel Ignite Tour stop in Hong Kong
Health concerns regarding the coronavirus caused Microsoft to cancel the Hong Kong stop of Microsoft Ignite The Tour. Microsoft points people towards its on-demand content instead.
Here's what you can use to block ads on Edge
Ad blockers are a wonderful thing. They do exactly what they're supposed to: block ads when browsing the web. Here's the best for Microsoft Edge.