What you need to know
- Another weekly update is now rolling out to the Microsoft Edge Dev channel.
- This week's release mostly focuses on fixes, but there is a notable tweak for reading view.
- The update is rolling out now as version 80.0.355.1.
Microsoft continues its rapid pace of development with the new Microsoft Edge, which means there's another new weekly build for Dev channel users. This week, Microsoft mostly focused on general fixes and improvements, but there is a small tweak to reading view that will make it easier to read for some.
You'll now be able to increase the text spacing in reading view, which could be handy if you currently have issues parsing the text. Other than that tweak, the emphasis is firmly on fixes. Here's a look at the full release notes for Microsoft Edge Dev channel build 80.0.355.1.
- Added an option to Reading View to increase text spacing.
- Added a prompt to verify work or school accounts that are automatically added to Edge but aren't enabled for sync so that users are aware sync isn't enabled.
- Fixed an issue where closing a window sometimes crashes the browser.
- Fixed a crash on startup on ARM64 devices.
- Fixed a crash that occurs when favorites sync is enabled.
- Fixed an issue where closing a tab too quickly after adding an item to a Collection sometimes crashes the browser.
- Fixed an issue where a crash in the Collections pane causes all future additions to Collections to fail until the browser is restarted.
- Fixed a tab crash.
- Fixed an issue where Edge on Mac fails to install updates automatically.
- Fixed an issue where saving a PDF that has been written on with ink sometimes results in a corrupted file.
- Fixed an issue Application Guard windows fail to open after a browser update.
- Updated the toolbar Feedback icon to be consistent with other Windows feedback icons.
- Changed the color of the title bar of installed websites and PWAs to be the dominant color of the site's favicon.
- Fixed an issue where manually importing data from Chrome isn't possible if there are too many Chrome browser profiles to fit in the dialog.
- Fixed an issue where the UI and web content is sometimes seen doubled and shrunken on high DPI displays.
- Fixed an issue where importing favorites from a file sometimes causes any favorites on the Favorites Bar not to be imported directly onto the Favorites Bar.
- Fixed an issue where the Find bar sometimes disappears when the browser loses focus.
- Fixed an issue where the 1px border on top of the window is missing.
- Fixed an issue where the prompt to autofill a credit card has two checkboxes to save the card locally.
- Fixed an issue where navigating to the Sync Settings page always triggers a dialog to enable sync.
- Fixed an issue with changing the order of items in a Collection.
- Fixed an issue where switching tabs quickly after adding an item to a Collection causes the item not to be added properly.
- The Settings page appears too big/zoomed in on certain machines.
- There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don't get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it. In another, restarting the browser fixes it.
- At certain zoom levels, there is a noticeable line between the browser UI and the web contents.
- Jumplist entries are not consistent between the Start Menu and the Task Bar for some users. We believe this is due to the shortcut on the Start Menu not getting migrated properly after an Edge update and are working on a fix. Additionally, after getting the update for the new icon, there are still places on the Start Menu, for example when searching, that still show the old icon. Other places like the Task Bar may be able to be fixed by un-pinning and then re-pinning any Edge shortcuts that already exist there.
For more on this release, you can check out Microsoft's full release notes. Otherwise, the update is available now for Dev channel users or as a download from the Edge Insider website. It's also worth noting that the Collections feature is now turned on by default for both Dev and Canary channels.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.